Linley Collets

Jake2715

Registered
Registered
Hi,

I build vintage motorcycles in my spare time and I have recently purchased a Linley Milling Machine with one set of Collets.
I have scoured the internet looking for more Collets but I have not been successful in finding anything other than recommendations on modifying commercially available Collets, to fit.
If someone has experience of doing this, can they please tell me what brand of Collets they would recommend for me to use for this purpose?
As far as machinery and experience go, I do own a lathe but I am by no means an experienced machinist.

Regards,
Jake

Hi,

I believe the Collets are similar to ER Collets.

Regards,
Jake

I have never heard of Linley collets. Thanks for the pictures, that helps.
Is there any special marking that would help ID them?
Have you found a drawing of the dimensions?

My local tool place has baskets of used collets, but finding what you need usually means pawing thru the entire lot......

-brino

20180826_131543.jpg

20180826_131537.jpg

20180826_131533.jpg

One other thing....... Rudy Kouhoupt had a good article on making collets in one of his "Shop Wisdom" books.

-brino

I was curious so looked up Liney. Couldn't find anything on a Linley mill, everything I found for Linley were jig borers.

Not much help posting this but apparantly they used 2 different type of collets. Linley Mk1a collets look more like ER collets but still quite different than ER. Your collets look like Mk1. Seems like a number of people were looking Mk1a collets which are very hard to find. Seems like Mk1 collets are even more rare.

Sounds like what you mentioned about possibly modifying another type of collet to fit may be the cheaper & quicker solution. Maybe you can post dimensions of one your collets & somone might be able to deterimine if there is a collet type that you might be able to modify.

I have never heard of Linley collets. Thanks for the pictures, that helps.
Is there any special marking that would help ID them?
Have you found a drawing of the dimensions?

My local tool place has baskets of used collets, but finding what you need usually means pawing thru the entire lot......

-brino

View attachment 306179

View attachment 306180

View attachment 306181

Hi Brino,
I was curious so looked up Liney. Couldn't find anything on a Linley mill, everything I found for Linley were jig borers.

Not much help posting this but apparantly they used 2 different type of collets. Linley Mk1a collets look more like ER collets but still quite different than ER. Your collets look like Mk1. Seems like a number of people were looking Mk1a collets which are very hard to find. Seems like Mk1 collets are even more rare.

Sounds like what you mentioned about possibly modifying another type of collet to fit may be the cheaper & quicker solution. Maybe you can post dimensions of one your collets & somone might be able to deterimine if there is a collet type that you might be able to modify.

Hi,

I went in to my workshop today and took a few dimensions of the Collets (Please excuse my poor annotations). I cleaned up the Collect and the only text I could see on it distinctly said Linley. Now that I have the dimensions I will start to look for other Collets to modify. Id anyone could suggest a good starting or similar Collet that would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jake

Attachments

• Linley Collet.JPG
    Linley Collet.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 10
Back