LinuxCNC question about Axis set-up from a newbie

kfashby2020

Registered
Registered
Hey there all you Linux guru's. I'm starting a conversion on a H/F 7X10 lathe and planning to use Linux for my control software. Been looking through the set-up and have a question about the Axis set-up. On the set-up page it ask for leadscrew pitch, can this number be a mm to imperial inch conversion so I can keep everything in the inch format? See below (my calculations to the right of the pic).

1601403506620.png
Reason for this line of thinking is that as I looked for ball screws, most everything I found was metric.

I would say yes just do the conversion to inch, with as many places after the decimal that it allows
-Mark

thanks for the reply Mark, does my conversion to inch look correct for the ball screw above, 2mm pitch, 4 starts?

kim

Let's see: 1 mm = 0.03937 x 2 = 0.07874
I think you're good, unless I'm missing something major, always a possiblility with my crappy math skills

Last edited:
Are you sure you got a ballscrew? I couldn't find any 4 start, 2mm pitch, 8mm lead, 12mm ballscrews, but a whole bunch of leadscrews did pop up with that.

Per your question, yes, you can put the inch value of the metric lead in LinuxCNC and it will work fine.

Shooter12345, you are correct, that was a leadscrew example, to make sure I was understanding the ability to enter the the inch conversion from mm to inch units. I think I've settled on 1605 ball screws for my CNC conversion. They are 16mm daimeter with a 5mm lead, single start. Sorry for the confusion from a real-time newbie. All this is totally new and sometimes overwelming. Thanks for just looking at my post and replying with your knowledge, it's why I came here and I do appreciate all comments, corrections and insight.

kim

Back