Lister St 2 Cylinder Diesel Engine For A Generator

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I had no idea this would draw so much discussion. In checking the specs for the S 2, it had the RPM listed as 1500. I know it could probably run faster but my thoughts were this is likely where the power and toque curves cross.

The reason why I was looking at a 10 kW generator / motor to attach to it was because I recall that the larger the generator unit compared to the expected load, the easier it is on the windings. I know it is extra load for the engine but I am not expecting to draw more than 7 kW at any time.

If I bide my time I may be able to score somthing like this:

47_708362273_zps3plc7s7i.jpg

47_285066700_zps0kwgntot.jpg

This is a generator unit run from a tractor PTO. It is oversized compared to the Lister however I wouldn't be using anywhere near 12.5 kW and it's operational RPM is 1500, the same as the Lister. I can pick up this generator for $200. This would enable me to build a diesel generator for under$800 that will exceed my power needs by a fair margin.

I am not looking at a genset to get off the grid. The genset is strictly a backup if anything happens to our power. I just want a decent system that I know I can self start and can sit for extended periods without needing servicing etc..

Paul.

47_708362273_zps3plc7s7i.jpg

47_285066700_zps0kwgntot.jpg

If you want to use the Lister Diesel, then that kind of PTO alternator is the perfect companion.

A simple splined coupling and you are good to go. The gearing to boost the RPM is already included.

Remember that you'll set the engine's governor to get the correct frequency.

Voltage will be a function of how well your engine handles the electrical load. Though, there may be an Exciter rheostat near the meters on the alternator.

Good luck, you are closer to the path now!

Interesting thread...
I have a Kohler 10 kW 240 VAC 1-ph generator sitting in my driveway now... The Wisconsin VH4 engine needs some rebuild work but the generator head looks to be in decent shape... Meters on it got banged around so would need replacing if you want to use them. I pulled the cover off the end and the internals look to be in reasonable shape. It only had something like 50 hrs on it when my friend purchased it I was told. It was given to me to use for my Rotary Phase converter project, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use it... Built like a tank in any case!

A google search on lister diesel genset will bring a trove of information. Those things are BELOVED by those that use them, because of the low RPM & their ability to use dicey fuel. Just take a search,

I have been considering getting a backup power supply for a while. I currently have a Yanmar diesel generator which is a great machine, however it runs at 3600 RPM, which I think results in a machine that is not a long-term power solution.

I have the chance to buy a Lister 18 HP 2 cylinder diesel engine. I would like to make this the powerplant for a larger generator. The benefit is that the engine's RPM under normal use is 1500 so I would imagine this engine would have a longer service life than my Yanmar.

Anyway, here is the engine here:

l_361200744_zpst25faozx.jpg

l_1366380582_zpsvq1gadkx.jpg

l_1757865403_zps9xvy88co.jpg l_264228518_zpsnlwgo6y2.jpg

I can likely score it for about 500 USD (the exchange rate is TERRIBLE right now for us in Norway). Anyway, has anyone ever done this kind of project? I think it would be worthwhile since these engines get about 20 000 hours between in-frame rebuilds so realistically this should last me the rest of my life as a back-up. The engine is located near a small fresh water lake so it has not seen salt use and seems too be in pretty good shape.

Opinions are welcome.

Paul.
jim dawson is correct in his comment about gen set rpms. by the time you buy the necessary components to to get up and running you will have spent more than the cost of a big box store gen set. unless your getting really cheap or free parts find something else to with that lister.

l_361200744_zpst25faozx.jpg

l_1366380582_zpsvq1gadkx.jpg

l_1757865403_zps9xvy88co.jpg

l_264228518_zpsnlwgo6y2.jpg

I am not sure if this is in the same area but a local earth mover has some lite towers that run of a lister generator. They work great and not a bad price $1800. 00 Canadian and the power plant can be converted to 3 phase

Diesel motors run for years providing the regular oil changes oil are made, should use Diesel Motor Oil Like "Remula brand/type" oil. Also watch out for algae grows in the fuel tank to clog the injectors. there are also preventive products for this. Believe me your diesel motor will out last the generator I would not worry about replacing the engine 3 to 4 k hours of use. If it wears out there are building kits that have cylinder sleeves, over size journal connecting rods, etc, etc. A hobby machinist should be able to follow the instruction manual to make the repairs if not, a good friend and a couple of 6 packs and pizza. By the way I saw in one of the forum answers about 2 pole and 4 pole in the generator. Well the polls also go with the additional windings etc. and it is not worth the bother to make changes if any can be made to your generator.

Lister engines are very reliable engines. The one problem that can occur is fuel diluting the oil in the sump. As both the injectors and the injector pumps are internally fitted (injectors under the valve covers and pumps behind a cover) you must make absolutely sure there are no fuel leaks at the joints where the supply and pressure sides are connected as the oil will get diluted resulting in bearing failure. In my 40 years in the engine rebuilding business we have encountered this numerous times. Just make sure that after running the engine for a while check for leaks at the pumps especially . You can run the engine without the fuel pump cover just to check with a slight oil splashing

Back