Little advice on making this

Marcduper

Registered
Registered
Good mornig all, I need to make two of these gear drives for a sweet little 3 jaw chuck. I have no problem with the diameters, gear, or square drive, I just can't figure out how to hold on to this part. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Marc

WIN_20180714_11_30_44_Pro.jpgWIN_20180714_11_30_06_Pro.jpg

Ezduzit, I am a little more resourcefull than that. haha. I went through a box of them. The drill chuck keys are completely different. The part pictured is a true bevel gear, the math works out. Drill chuck keys are not even close.

I was hoping someone out there restored a chuck like mine and had a similar situation.

Thank you,

If it comes down to it, I've seen people make up "dummies"for closing off the holes and making do with only a single pinion. You can get by with one on scroll chuck.

Pinions like those should really be hardened. Do you have the resources to do that, avoiding shape changes while doing it, or finish grinding it to final dimensions?

If it comes down to it, I've seen people make up "dummies"for closing off the holes and making do with only a single pinion. You can get by with one on scroll chuck.
I think that is what I will do. The gear is 18dp, and I don't have 18dp cutters. Thanks.

Be very easy to make a cutter to make the gears. A hand ground tool bit to match the tooth can be used like a fly cutter you may need to tilt the head is about it . Of course you'll still need the divider set up . But to cut two small pinions it'll work. If you use a long enough piece turn the ends of the stock to match then I'd cut the gear teeth, finally I cut to length separating them before milling the square , deburr and then harden with stainless tool wrap it should protect the finish while hardening and tempering. A buffing will shine it nicely.

Last edited:
Just use the one that you have, not all 3 Jaw scroll chucks are built with 3 pinions, I use a Bison most every day that only has 1.

Awe. I really wanted to learn about making this gear.

Back