Little Atlas 618 with a BIG cross feed dial.

Well you sure need to post more because you have great things to share!

Thanks!

Bernie

Wow, great idea! I can see that is something I will look into in the future for mine also. I also love the mount for your Unimat, guess I will be stealing that also :))

Wow, great idea! I can see that is something I will look into in the future for mine also. I also love the mount for your Unimat, guess I will be stealing that also :))

Glad you like it. Have been doing some turning today, wow what a difference I can actually see the graduations rather than guessing... I have lived with the original for 40 years... sigh.

One thing that I didn't mention. I made most out of aluminum. Whenever I put fasteners into aluminum I always use anti seize compound liberally to prevent galling and of course seizing.

David

Thank you Guys. This is a rather old thread. However having said that, this has been one of the best mods I have made for my Atlas 618. Makes the world of difference for me.

David

The know this thread is old, but I'm new here, and fairly new to machining.

I was curious as to why you didn't use the the lock the engages into the bulk gear on the 618 to: a) lock the spindle b) to use for indexing the graduations?

I should have mentioned I also have a 618 and have been practicing as much as I can to get a bit of a grasp on the fundamentals of using a lathe.

Best,

Taki

Hi Taki,

I did this quite awhile ago, but I think to answer your question there are two difficulties. My lathe has a lot of wear in the back gear so the spindle can rock back and forth quite a bit when "locked", and second I don't think you can get the back gear to properly engage the bull gear at each of the fine graduations required. That is the pitch of the teeth are too coarse.

David

Hi David,

Thanks for getting back to me. I was referring to the pin on the chuck side of the headstock for what it's worth. That being said, my bull gear has some play as well and I can see how that would be an issue.

On a separate note, a broke my steady rest in two this am facing some brass. Bummer!

HI Again Taki,

Ok now I understand. On my 618 that indexing gear only has 60 indexing holes so that wouldn't work either.
That is a bummer breaking the steady rest. I am trying to picture where that would break. I believe mine is a casting so perhaps it could be brazed back together?

David

Back