• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • PLEASE SUPPORT OUR FORUM - UPGRADE YOUR ACCOUNT HERE!
[4]

little chuck...

January Project of the Month [3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

rambin

when I bought my lathe this little chuck was tossed in I never played with it too much until the other day when I got the idea it might be great for small pieces and as I only have a 4 jaw on the lathe this would be great as I could take pieces out to measure and not have to redial the work steady... well I took off the 4jaw and popped this thing in... its mt3.. well I put the dial on it and it was out .050" wow... so I didn't end up using it... looks like its seen some use and abuse is there any fixing these or are they any good to start with? 20180205_130342.jpg 20180205_130356.jpg

rambin

that's the first thing I thought so I closed it all the way and they all touched...if one was out I was thinking it would be backed off a little.... next time im out I will take them apart and check the #'s though

higgite

General Manger - Proofreading Dept.
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Not sure but it looks like the MT3 taper is mounted to the chuck with a backplate. You didn’t say how little the little chuck is, but would it be feasible to remove the taper and/or backplate and mount it in your 4 jaw where you could dial it in?

Tom

middle.road

Actively Learning...
And if you don't want to mess with it, you're more than welcome to send it 'Down South' if you want to!
Maybe it wants to be in a warmer climate! We'll provide it a good home. -hehe.

Can you post a picture of your lathe? and some specs?

Tom is probably correct and the mount and backside have to be re-worked.

rambin

to be honest I ve never even measured to see how big it opens up... im thinking it probably came with a spanner wrench at one time and it kinda looks like someone didn't have it and beet on the hole where the spanner should have grabbed..i will have to take it apart and have a look at it and see what I can do... eventually i'll buy a real 3 jaw but something like this would prbly still be great for shorter pieces that get lost in behind full size chuck jaws...

oh and dan my lathe is a wards/logan 700 she aint too pretty yet but come spring I will finish painting her... this is a pic when I first brought it home in late spring its half painted now but I cant find a pic... finish painting when spring comes and I can spray bomb it outside... don't worry the green is almost gone!

20170612_123734.jpg

middle.road

Actively Learning...
to be honest I ve never even measured to see how big it opens up... im thinking it probably came with a spanner wrench at one time and it kinda looks like someone didn't have it and beet on the hole where the spanner should have grabbed..i will have to take it apart and have a look at it and see what I can do... eventually i'll buy a real 3 jaw but something like this would prbly still be great for shorter pieces that get lost in behind full size chuck jaws...

oh and dan my lathe is a wards/logan 700 she aint too pretty yet but come spring I will finish painting her... this is a pic when I first brought it home in late spring its half painted now but I cant find a pic... finish painting when spring comes and I can spray bomb it outside... don't worry the green is almost gone!
Looks almost identical to my Logan 210., except for the top cover - maybe a little shorter overall.
It's not a spanner but two pins to open and close the chuck.

dlane

Active User
Here is my tommy bar chuck it has a 1” straight arbor that is permanent, your arbor looks threaded into the chuck and looks to need a spanner and a tommy bar to operate it. Shallow holes
E8E47261-4B00-4A2E-99AD-83F858BB2A7B.jpeg

rambin

Looks almost identical to my Logan 210., except for the top cover - maybe a little shorter overall.
It's not a spanner but two pins to open and close the chuck.

yes the 200 series logan is the closest model to the 700 which was branded as wards at the time...

rambin

Here is my tommy bar chuck it has a 1” straight arbor that is permanent, your arbor looks threaded into the chuck and looks to need a spanner and a tommy bar to operate it. Shallow holes
View attachment 256975
and how does that work? mine uses the spindle taper (m3) yours looks like just a pipe?
and what exactly is a tommy bar? ive never heard that one?

dlane

Active User
Tommy bars are hardened dowels that fit in the holes of the chuck then turn to tighten or loosen the chuck.
The “ pipe “is a straight arbor to mount into what ever I want to, lathe ,mill, DH , RT,
Your arbor looks like it may be threaded into the chuck , although I could be wrong.
Don’t know if ied want to put that into the spindle without a drawbar ,

Last edited:

rambin

are you thinking it could pop out? im new to all this I just thought it was a great option over my 4 jaw.. until it didn't run out worth a s@#$ havnt had time to mess with it I see #s stamped beside the jaws but cant find any stamps on the jaws themselves... when its all the way closed all jaws touch tight so im kinda at a loss for now

Chuck K

Active User

View attachment 256944
Looks pretty nice to me!

kd4gij

Active User
I have 2 one is union and the other is craftsman but made by union. It is a light duty chuck. The OP's chuck looks to be screwed on. Mine are 1 1/2-8 thread his is probably 1" 10 or 8 thread. I would take it off the MT arbor. make a straight arbor and chuck it in the 4 jaw and use it that way.

rambin

a little update I tried to disassemble as much of the chuck as I could...took the jaws out.. the m3 arbour doesn't seem to be a threaded coupling like someone stated it just turns and turns im thinking its a taper like on a chuck ?? I couldn't get it, I know theres special little wedges but I don't have those! anyhow its all soaking in the cleaner bucket i'll get back to it on the weekend I hope... and hopefully I can fig out why its running so far out.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I'm telling ya, it just needs a warmer climate is all. . .

Anyway, I'm thinking maybe the mounting setup is like that on a drill chuck. Perhaps it has a JT or other taper at the chuck end.
Maybe it's been deformed in it's travels.
You've supported the chuck and tried knocking out the arbor with a brass drift, or eq. I assume.

dlane

Active User
The arbor turns and turns in the chuck ? If so it’s a tailstock chuck

Last edited:

kd4gij

Active User
Post a pic of the back of the chuck. A video of what is turning would help also.

rambin

hmmm... there could be a bearing in there couldn't there?
The plot thickens.
no im thinking its like a jacobs taper....the one that holds your drill chuck to its arbour...its not supposed to actually turn when in use...it was turning as I had a wrench on it well it was in the vise ( I thought it was a threaded connection) I have no reason to take it apart other then a cleaning and investigation into the runout problem

rambin

well I got it cleaned up and back together didn't get a chance to put it back on the lathe and check the runout again.. Its defintaly a taper such as a Jacobs that holds it on. prbly be a few days b4 I can pull the 4jaw off and put this lil one back on to play with it again.

dlane

Active User
“it was turning as I had a wrench on it well it was in the vise“
What’s it ?

rambin

the chuck was turning on the spindle....I had the m3 end in the vise and a wrench on the chuck jaws.... I had thought it was threaded onto the spindle but apparently its a taper fit

rambin

well I cleaned it up some and tried it in the spindle again...still reading about 12 thou runout. no way to fix that as far as I can see? guess this is not much good to me either.. jaws appear to be all in right as they close tight and on center.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
.012"? dang. Something must be messed with how a PO mounted the arbor into it.
Perhaps they try to turn the mating taper to mount the arbor and didn't have it trued properly.

rambin

it is beat up pretty good...... came with the lathe was hoping to get some use out of it for small pieces instead of dialing in the 4 jaw chuck all the time...but no luck...

Waterlooboy2hp

I have 2 one is union and the other is craftsman but made by union. It is a light duty chuck. The OP's chuck looks to be screwed on. Mine are 1 1/2-8 thread his is probably 1" 10 or 8 thread. I would take it off the MT arbor. make a straight arbor and chuck it in the 4 jaw and use it that way.
==============================================================
That`s pretty much what I did. Had these 2 for over 60 years. Made by Cushman in CT. and have a patent date on them of 1872. Very handy for small work and making washer like spacers. Bore the ID in one chuck and turn the OD in the other. ---- John

IMG_0280.JPG

Last edited:
[6]
[5] [7]