little chuck...

==============================================================
That`s pretty much what I did. Had these 2 for over 60 years. Made by Cushman in CT. and have a patent date on them of 1872. Very handy for small work line making washer like spacers. Bore the ID in one chuck and turn the OD in the other. ---- John
D*mn - those are fine!

wow those look sweet...I guess that tool is what keeps them so nice, my holes are all bashed from someone forcing a round bar or something in them... anyhow putting mine in the backburner box till I get the time and machining skills built up to try and make them usefull...

You said your lathe only had a 4 jaw chuck... Why cant you center the small chuck with the 4 jaw?
Is the run out on the outside of the chuck or after you center something up? Either way you shoud
be able to center what you milling using the 4 jaw.

I could... its a m3 taper I believe but that could be removed and put to a solid round which the 4 jaw would grab better... kinda thru the idea on the back burner for the time being.

If your going to remove the taper....Put a GOOD chunk of 4"long round stock in the small chuck. Then chuck it up in your lathe chuck and center it up off the round stock. Then cut your taper down. The chuck should then be centered.

Back