little chuck...

rambin

Registered
Registered
when I bought my lathe this little chuck was tossed in I never played with it too much until the other day when I got the idea it might be great for small pieces and as I only have a 4 jaw on the lathe this would be great as I could take pieces out to measure and not have to redial the work steady... well I took off the 4jaw and popped this thing in... its mt3.. well I put the dial on it and it was out .050" wow... so I didn't end up using it... looks like its seen some use and abuse is there any fixing these or are they any good to start with?20180205_130342.jpg20180205_130356.jpg

that's the first thing I thought so I closed it all the way and they all touched...if one was out I was thinking it would be backed off a little.... next time im out I will take them apart and check the #'s though

Not sure but it looks like the MT3 taper is mounted to the chuck with a backplate. You didn’t say how little the little chuck is, but would it be feasible to remove the taper and/or backplate and mount it in your 4 jaw where you could dial it in?

Tom

And if you don't want to mess with it, you're more than welcome to send it 'Down South' if you want to!
Maybe it wants to be in a warmer climate! We'll provide it a good home. -hehe.

Can you post a picture of your lathe? and some specs?

Tom is probably correct and the mount and backside have to be re-worked.

to be honest I ve never even measured to see how big it opens up... im thinking it probably came with a spanner wrench at one time and it kinda looks like someone didn't have it and beet on the hole where the spanner should have grabbed..i will have to take it apart and have a look at it and see what I can do... eventually i'll buy a real 3 jaw but something like this would prbly still be great for shorter pieces that get lost in behind full size chuck jaws...

oh and dan my lathe is a wards/logan 700 she aint too pretty yet but come spring I will finish painting her... this is a pic when I first brought it home in late spring its half painted now but I cant find a pic... finish painting when spring comes and I can spray bomb it outside... don't worry the green is almost gone!

20170612_123734.jpg

to be honest I ve never even measured to see how big it opens up... im thinking it probably came with a spanner wrench at one time and it kinda looks like someone didn't have it and beet on the hole where the spanner should have grabbed..i will have to take it apart and have a look at it and see what I can do... eventually i'll buy a real 3 jaw but something like this would prbly still be great for shorter pieces that get lost in behind full size chuck jaws...

oh and dan my lathe is a wards/logan 700 she aint too pretty yet but come spring I will finish painting her... this is a pic when I first brought it home in late spring its half painted now but I cant find a pic... finish painting when spring comes and I can spray bomb it outside... don't worry the green is almost gone!
Looks almost identical to my Logan 210., except for the top cover - maybe a little shorter overall.
It's not a spanner but two pins to open and close the chuck.

Here is my tommy bar chuck it has a 1” straight arbor that is permanent, your arbor looks threaded into the chuck and looks to need a spanner and a tommy bar to operate it. Shallow holes
E8E47261-4B00-4A2E-99AD-83F858BB2A7B.jpeg

Looks almost identical to my Logan 210., except for the top cover - maybe a little shorter overall.
It's not a spanner but two pins to open and close the chuck.

yes the 200 series logan is the closest model to the 700 which was branded as wards at the time...

Back