little chuck...

hmmm... there could be a bearing in there couldn't there?
The plot thickens.
no im thinking its like a jacobs taper....the one that holds your drill chuck to its arbour...its not supposed to actually turn when in use...it was turning as I had a wrench on it well it was in the vise ( I thought it was a threaded connection) I have no reason to take it apart other then a cleaning and investigation into the runout problem

well I got it cleaned up and back together didn't get a chance to put it back on the lathe and check the runout again.. Its defintaly a taper such as a Jacobs that holds it on. prbly be a few days b4 I can pull the 4jaw off and put this lil one back on to play with it again.

“it was turning as I had a wrench on it well it was in the vise“
What’s it ?

the chuck was turning on the spindle....I had the m3 end in the vise and a wrench on the chuck jaws.... I had thought it was threaded onto the spindle but apparently its a taper fit

well I cleaned it up some and tried it in the spindle again...still reading about 12 thou runout. no way to fix that as far as I can see? guess this is not much good to me either.. jaws appear to be all in right as they close tight and on center.

.012"? dang. Something must be messed with how a PO mounted the arbor into it.
Perhaps they try to turn the mating taper to mount the arbor and didn't have it trued properly.

it is beat up pretty good...... came with the lathe was hoping to get some use out of it for small pieces instead of dialing in the 4 jaw chuck all the time...but no luck...

I have 2 one is union and the other is craftsman but made by union. It is a light duty chuck. The OP's chuck looks to be screwed on. Mine are 1 1/2-8 thread his is probably 1" 10 or 8 thread. I would take it off the MT arbor. make a straight arbor and chuck it in the 4 jaw and use it that way.
==============================================================
That`s pretty much what I did. Had these 2 for over 60 years. Made by Cushman in CT. and have a patent date on them of 1872. Very handy for small work and making washer like spacers. Bore the ID in one chuck and turn the OD in the other. ---- John

IMG_0280.JPG

Last edited:
Back