Little Lathe Improvement.

Good ideas there with those covers!

Come on guys! Get your camera out and let's see some of your ideas.

Delrin is used for lightweight bearing materiel so it wont wear on the ways. If you use Delrin I would back bevel it so the contact area is about 1/16" or less.

Used a piece of acrylic material I had laying around and seems to work well. I did cut the back side about 1/16" for the contact area with the way.

20160206_201138_resized.jpg

Here's another little improvement, if it will work on my lathe! It's a 10", 4-jaw, independent adjacent chuck. (China of course.) If it's "not" too heavy for my spindle I'll have to make a mounting plate for it. My spindle is 3 bolt mount and this is 4 bolt mount. Found it for cheap, it's "new" and just couldn't pass that deal up!

20160207_135220_resized.jpg 20160207_134505_resized.jpg 20160207_135034_resized.jpg

Last edited:
May be more effort than it's worth to try and use this chuck. Pretty big and don't know if it's adaptable to my lathe. An 8" is probably a better choice for my hobby lathe.

Guess I messed up on my expectations to use the 10" chuck. Read the manual and says not to use a chuck larger than 6". Well maybe it will make some good trading material or up on Craigslist it will go. Does anyone have "some Cheeze to go with my whine?". LoL

I would think that would be an awful lot of chuck for that machine. Once in awhile bigger is not always better,:big grin: Might be good trading material though.

Re-did my way cleaner and used a piece of acrylic I had laying around. I also put a spring and pin on the carriage lock because it would not stay engaged without holding it.

20160206_201138_resized.jpg 20160120_120516_resized.jpg

Good ideas there with those covers!

Come on guys! Get your camera out and let's see some of your ideas.

Mine is a mini lathe and I made a different cover made from an unknown plastic from a copy machine cover.
I hold both ends of it with magnets and to avoid the lift up of the plastic when the toolpost comes near the headstock I drilled it near the end when fully depressed and I have put through it a metal bar (you can see it extended behind the tool post).
The near side of it lifts though and it empties the debris to the back on the cover of the lathe.
If I wish to keep it level I just use a small weight as you see on the photo.

Lathe_On_wooden_table1.jpg

Mine is a mini lathe and I made a different cover made from an unknown plastic from a copy machine cover.
I hold both ends of it with magnets and to avoid the lift up of the plastic when the toolpost comes near the headstock I drilled it near the end when fully depressed and I have put through it a metal bar (you can see it extended behind the tool post).
The near side of it lifts though and it empties the debris to the back on the cover of the lathe.
If I wish to keep it level I just use a small weight as you see on the photo.

I was looking for some of that accordion fold plastic but could on find short ones. Guess I could rivet two together. My lathe is 31" between centers. That said, I probably would only use the far right side one in a blue moon. Nice setup you've got!

I was looking for some of that accordion fold plastic but could on find short ones. Guess I could rivet two together. My lathe is 31" between centers. That said, I probably would only use the far right side one in a blue moon. Nice setup you've got!

Thank you.
I think there is room for improvement on the idea! Mainly on the support system to keep it horizontal.

I was thinking to try something like the folding techniques you see to the next sketch.

below.jpg

Petros

Back