Little Machine Shop QCTP on Sherline, cut off tool issue

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
A few months ago I got the OXA size QCTP from Little Machine Shop. Understand this is essentially the same as the one once sold by A2Z.

While they sell it for the Sherline, the lathe is clearly a tad smaller than ideal for this tool post. I've had to make a few adjustments to use the 1/4" tooling but it works and I'm happy with it. Very nice not to have to set up again every time I change a tool.

The issue I'm having is the cut off tool holder which doesn't seem to fit the lathe at all. At full height it appears to be 1/8-1/4" low, as far as I can tell they sent me the correct tool holder and I've set it up as suggested.

Not the end of the world, cut off tool is typically the last operation, so I've just been swapping out the QCTP for the cut off tool post. I'm mostly just wondering if anyone else is using this on a Sherline and if they have the same issue or has found a solution to it.

The solution is a rear mounted parting tool holder. Sherline sells one but a shop made one will be more accurate. Trust me; make one.

I have the plans you posted, and the materials to do it.

It is one of the projects on the my do list. :)

LMS has 2 cut off tool holders for the 0XA. One holds the blade horizontal and requires 5/8" above the tool post and the other holds the blade at a 4° angle and requires 3/4" above the tool post. I wonder if they sent you the wrong one. It's worth a call to LMS.

Roy

LMS has 2 cut off tool holders for the 0XA. One holds the blade horizontal and requires 5/8" above the tool post and the other holds the blade at a 4° angle and requires 3/4" above the tool post. I wonder if they sent you the wrong one. It's worth a call to LMS.

Roy

I did check the documentation to make sure that the one they sent me in the kit is the one that they list for use on a Sherline. It is possible that they are mistaken on which cut off holder works best for a Sherline, so I guess it couldn't hurt to give them a call.

Other than having a tool holder that doesn't do anything for me, it isn't much of a hardship. I was mostly curious to know if I was doing something wrong. Other than this one issue, it is working for me and it is just a fraction of the cost for an actual Sherline QCTP.

Mikey's answer doesn't surprise me, many people recommend cutting off from the backside on Sherline's. Even if the tool holder fit right it is set up for use from the front.

The Sherline lathe does not like to part from the front. You can do it at low speeds but the occurrence of chatter is high. Parting from the rear makes parting a simple process that can be done at high speeds and without chatter. I have done it this way for a very long time and am convinced it is the way to go on a Sherline lathe.

The Sherline lathe does not like to part from the front. You can do it at low speeds but the occurrence of chatter is high. Parting from the rear makes parting a simple process that can be done at high speeds and without chatter. I have done it this way for a very long time and am convinced it is the way to go on a Sherline lathe.

You are not alone, I have heard that from just about everybody who has experience with Sherline lathes. That is why your rear cutoff tool post is already on my to do list.

I'm not too concerned about making this one work, I was mostly just checking that I wasn't missing something in the set up.

Back