Little mods making things better. (And other Stuff!)

Rigidity is the biggest problem with these little Atlas / Craftsman lathes. I think they were primarily used, "back in the day," for auto starter and generator rebuilding. Probably weren't really used much for steel cutting and turning. Maybe I'll try putting the lamp post on and not use so much carbide tooling in my efforts. Second thoughts, no I won't do that but will try more steel tooling. Lamp posts are a pain.

Did as mentioned above this morning and it did make a difference. Found that all the gib screws may have giving bad sense of adjustment when tightening them. All of the gib hole threads were crusty so I ran a tap thru them and now has a better sense of tightening. Used 500 grit laid on glass to polish the gibs. Snugged all the gib screws a little more than usual to keep vibration down when turning stock.

Last edited:
Another idea is to get rid of the compound altogether. Some people just mount a block of steel to the cross slide to hold the toolpost. That makes a difference too.

Adjustment of gibs makes a big difference on any lathe, but especially on these. Pretty happy in general with my old 12" after spending some time getting it right. I use carbide on it a lot, and it works fine for me. These machines get a lot of bad mouthing, but mine has served me well, and I enjoy running it even though I have bigger machines. Mike

After polishing my gibs, chasing the gib screw threads and and adjustment has done wonders. About 15 years ago I used to have a Shop Task CNC modified 3-in-one lathe that came with an extra compound. I was looking at it to see if I could modify the compound to fit my Craftsman lathe. Doesn't look very promising as the Shop Task was a 16" swing and a little. large for my 6" lathe.

Attachments

• 20220107_121941.jpg
    20220107_121941.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220107_122155.jpg
    20220107_122155.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 37
I have a couple of 1hp DC motors and controllers and was thinking I might do a mod. This 1/2hp motor I currently have is a little underpowered for cutting steel. Both the controllers are soft start which I think would be a good thing.

Just when I was about to give up on my little lathe it is "purring" along just fine. No more vibration in the cut, quiet and a reduced less difference in chuck and tailstock. I attribute cut difference due to my offsetting the tailstock a couple thou. I can't overstress the importance that the gibs and gig screw holes being in proper working condition in order to make good firm gib adjustments. (As I found out!) I don't have any projects in mind so now I don't know what to play around with other than a DC motor mod. I may move along to using my mill with a dividing head I've had for years and never took time to learn how to use it. I just bought a set of gear cutters and will give a try at making a couple of gears. (That will be a new forum posting though!)

Last edited:
Sphere cutting jig under construction. I got this idea off YouBoob from a posted video by A1 Custom Solutions. (Video link below.) Just have to figure out how to make the cutting tool sharp. Pics are just to show the idea not the final jig!

Attachments

• 20220125_120428.jpg
    20220125_120428.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20220125_113458.jpg
    20220125_113458.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220125_113818.jpg
    20220125_113818.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Interesting. It seems to me that advancing the tool with the compound set to an angle like the video shows changes the center of rotation pass to pass. Is there any reason that would be desirable? I don't see it.

Interesting. It seems to me that advancing the tool with the compound set to an angle like the video shows changes the center of rotation pass to pass. Is there any reason that would be desirable? I don't see it.
You may be right. Looking at his finished "spheres" they don't look like round balls. The raw stock has to be threaded in order to make the cut. I "think" by using the compound it will cause the threaded hole to move from the desired 90 degree. Seems you have to use cross slide adjustments to make a round ball.

Update: I just reviewed the video again and he "is" turning the cross slide and not the compound. I wonder what degree he ground his tool at??? Could be a two facet grind on the tool.

Last edited:
Back