[Shaper] Little problem with shaper table

Thanks Tony. I'll take care. This "getting older" crap kind of forces that on a guy or at least it does if you want to hit the "getting even older" stage. :biggrin:

The good thing in all this is that I'm learning things about this shaper that I hadn't really figured on. If I had any ambition I would measure, document, photograph, and put it all together so that some other schmoe down the line, who ends up with a Queen City Shaper, has some kind of reference on the internet.

I'm still trying to find some good tech or operational info on these things. Heck, I even did a number of searches in the "Library of Congress" trying to get more information on the QCs. You'd think these big hunks of iron would leave more literature in their wakes. Oh well.

Now, where did I leave that bottle jack....

-Ron :rolleyes:

Ron,
Any idea what sort of gib keys are in there? Its not just something as simple as overtightened gibs is it? Just a thought.

Cheers Phil

Ron,
Any idea what sort of gib keys are in there? Its not just something as simple as overtightened gibs is it? Just a thought.

Cheers Phil

I doubt it. I actually backed out the all bolts a mm or two on both sides of the slide, including where the gib is. Combined that with a good soaking of Kroil for the last couple of weeks but it still feels rock solid even though, in theory, it is just hanging there. :thinking:

I didn't have time to mess with it today but for tomorrow I'm planning on putting a jack underneath it to see if I can at least break it free (Thanks Tony :)).

-Ron

I actually backed out the all bolts a mm or two on both sides of the slide, including where the gib is.

Ron just make sure you dont have a tapered gib key.
My mill has tapered gibs with the adjusting screws in the ends, and lock screws that you tighten from the side to lock it up when you dont want any movement on a particular axis.

Cheers Phil

Thanks for the heads-up Bill but the gibs on this thing are fairly caveman-ish. :biggrin: Perfect for me!

I was able to put the jack to it today and I was able to break it free. That's when the surprise and confusion set in (in other words everything went back to normal ;)). Raising up the horizontal slide I found, to my surprise...

I had more expected a smooth shaft centered in the outer acme "tube". What I found was a free floating acme screw that doesn't even touch the inside of the tube. The deep long gouge on the left slide just made me wince. :(

The next obvious step was to try and raise the acme "tube" out of it's nut. I backed it out by hand and found this on the other end:

As you can see, it appears that the outer tube was also pinned to something on the other end. I have no idea what though. The nut/base can be wiggled around but cannot be turned as it has a flat side against the body of the shaper. It feels like it is attached to something farther down in the base.

I'm having a bit of trouble putting together a mental picture of how the lift/screws functioned together. I'm guessing the "key" to it is whatever the outer tube was attached to in the base.

-Ron

Ron,

A double screw can be used as a force multiplier but if they are pinned together that can't be the purpose. Are they the same pitch? It's possible that both screws are used together to raise and lower the table just because of it's weight.

Tom

Looks like a multi-stage hydraulic jack when u wind it up and the first screw runs out of thread the second stage starts turning.
The nut on the smaller thread needs to be pinned to the outer thread.
The bottom section may have been pinned to a stop so it would not come all the way out.
Or it may have broken before and been turned over already.
I would work on repinning the inner nut and try to figure out the stop in the bottom.

I'm thinking they have used the double screw to increase the table travel without requiring more space in the base.
We had an old truck that used a jack similar to that, but IIRC, it had 3 sections all telescoped together. As you wound the handle they all screwed out of themselves. Basically, a 1 foot high closed jack screwed out to 2 1/2 feet high.
I'm trying to remember how it worked:thinking:
I think that the first broken piece you found in your first posts is the nut for the inner threaded section. It should be pinned to the outer "tube" so it turns with the outer tube and screws the inner section in and out.
Ron whereabouts is the drive supplied to crank the "knee" up and down?

Cheers Phil

Did a bit of searching and this is the best I could come up with so far.....
Telescopic%20Screw.jpg

And this little bit of description....borrowed from...http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4949585.html...
"The jack comprises a tubular primary screw (10) provided with an outer screw thread and an inner screw thread having opposite thread hands, a secondary screw (11) cooperative with the inner screw thread and having an end (11a) articulated to a fixed point, a nut (9) fixed in rotation and connected to move in translation with the element to be adjusted and cooperative with the outer screw thread"

cheers Phil

Telescopic%20Screw.jpg

Great find Phil but I don't think it's what QC is using (unless, of course, I'm completely missing some parts). If you look the first pictures of the screw, you'll see the spot where the outer threaded "tube" was pinned to the inner screw so that they would turn together. That's the part that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The outer threaded tube appears to sit snugly up against that collar on the inner screw where it was pinned to it by a full-dog set screw. It would seem to make one or the other superfluous. The drive for moving the horizontal slide up and down is on the end of the horizontal slide:

I still have no idea what the outer tube was "pinned" to on the bottom end either. When I go in tomorrow I'll have to take a flex-scope with me and see if there is anything in the bottom of the base/nut. It's a little too deep to just stick a finger in there plus it would feel like placing your finger in a guillotine :eek: as there is only friction holding the horizontal slide up.

I'm still not making sense of it. :confused:

-Ron

Back