Little restoration project Starrett micrometer stand

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
thought I would share a little restoration project I did.

Here is the before picture

micholder3.jpg

micholder2.jpg

Here are the after pics:

IMG_20180428_082302780_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180428_082312364.jpg

I totally disassembled it. Ordered a new badge, new nylon pads, and a new pivot ball from Starrett. Go figure, the parts cost more from Starrett than the beat up base did. I decided to upgrade the knobs to brass ones...........I have this thing about brass! Had it powder coated with black crinkle coat. Biggest pain was getting the proper areas masked off with heat tape. After that, it was pretty easy. Anyway, I thought you guys might enjoy this.

Tom

Nicely done. Some things we do just for the joy of doing it, it's not always about money. It's about working with your hands and making things new again. Preserving the past sometimes.

I'm another brass lover, I'd remake many parts on my machines if I could afford platinum prices of brass. I've machined many tons of brass ,,all types,, over the years . It's a really wonderful metal it can be soft or hard . In one of the shops I must have made twenty thousand valve bodies in cast brass and bronze . Warner & Swazey turret lathes are the most wonderful lathes I've ever set up and run. Beast isn't strong enough to compare to one. They will just machine anything no matter what to any shape with hand ground form cutting tools. Three inches wide power fed to stops , don't even burp. Sorry the tangent just memories now. But brass is it. Your tool looks better then new because of the brass knobs. I hate plastic

Thanks guys. I really enjoy this type of work. I now have a Starrett mic stand with a little brass class! LOL. I am considering felting the bottom. Since the bottom is not really a precision surface, I think felt will help protect whatever I am setting it on, like my surface plate, desk, etc. I haven't totally decided yet, but I am leaning that way.

Back