Live Center 3mt

bosephus

Registered
Registered
after 2 plus years of abuse the bearings finally went out in my $37 grizzly live center . i have no complaints it served me well for the money and i did abuse it .

with funds being tight ( fixed income and to many projects ) i thought i'd ask if anyone might have a spare live center they can part with before buying another cheap one from grizzly .

i would much prefer it to be mt3 taper as i do not have any taper adapters . but im not that picky .

if you have something let me know the who whats and where along with how much

thanks

I've got nothing MT3.
However, I've been saving this print.
With plans to build a MT4 pipe center.
You might be able to adapt to MT3.
That includes making the MT shank taper.

Note attached.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• pipecenter.pdf
    368.4 KB · Views: 12
Keep an eye out on Ebay. I found a real nice (German) Rohm there a few weeks ago. It looks unused and was only $50.

thanks daryl .

i am going to give it a shot , i shouldnt be spending any money at the moment anyway .

my new weekend project :)

As I read more of the old turn of century texts, I increasingly wonder why we HM purchase anything.

While precision bearings would likely be best and expensive...
I'm wondering if automotive front axle bearings or similar would work for this HM application.

Daryl
MN

I am not certain that it is still done that way, and someone at Timken who probably knew declined to tell me. But bearings used to be sorted for ABEC, RBEC or ABMA Class by actual physical inspection. Just as resistors were sorted for resistance tolerance by actual measurement. Under that scenario, if the manufacturer made 10,000, maybe 500 were ordered for the highest class or tolerance, 2000 for the next, and the balance for a third. The finished parts were inspected and marked until the quotas of all of the higher specs were met and the remainder, however many that was, were assigned to the third grade. And as it happens in both type or part, were unmarked. So there could be some or even many of the unmarked ones that would have met a marked Class or Tolerance. So you pays your money and you takes your chances if you buy the lowest Class or Tolerance. Given that resistors must meet only one inspection criteria and bearings several , the failure of any one being an automatic downgrade, and that some of the bearing tolerance criteria may not matter to your application, there is perhaps a better chance with bearings than with resistors that you'll find an unmarked bearing that for your purposes meets the criteria of the higher class.

I'm sure I have a few MT3 live centers here that are best quality . Give me a day or two and I'll see what is lurking in the drawers .

Update .......

Any of these float your boat ? Couple of Hardinges , Royals ,ReadyTools , and one jap junker . Got whatever sleeves you would want also .This is just what I found in 1 drawer . I know there are 20 more packed away somewhere . :frown 2: Don't have a lathe anymore so these are expensive paperweights here !

IMG_7471.JPG

Last edited:
Ooops , nevermind , I just read you are building one . Guess I jumped the gun !

Bo , here are the 2 Royals . 1 is the triple bearing extended nose and 1 has the interchangeable tip feature . I wouldn't know where to look for the extra tips at this point , but if you want these and I ever find the extra tips , they go to you . I'll soak them down and shine them up real perty and throw in a MT2-MT3 sleeve as both are MT2 tapers . . I'll get them to you for $60 a piece + shipping and insurance so $130 for the pair to your door . If you don't want them , I'm sure they will go to someone who could use them . :encourage:

IMG_7473.JPG

Back