[Source] Lm10 Renishaw Mag Linear Scale Replacement Vendor Spec.

OK, need an opinion here.
Should I go with something like this on the mill or look for a glass scale solution?
Is there a chance in hades that this 9-pin would work with my old Mitu Digimatic Display Head or are the signals totally different?
I'm still leaning towards doing TouchDRO, just trying to get by on a tight budget right now.

Now for the Kicker - Step Son is in China for a couple of days next week, Bejing. hmmm, wonder if he'd like to do some shopping for a DRO. :)

The Renishaw scales are made by RLS in China, might have the Stepson check them out.
I did quite a bit of research on them, even talked to the sales rep out of Chicago, before deciding they were going to be too pricey for my needs. They kept trying to tell me they didn't recommend cutting the scales myself saying if I got them too hot the magnetic coding would be lost !!! Right, if I got it too hot might lose coding in a small portion of the tape at worst.
As far as using them with Touch DRO, you might want to bounce the idea in Yuriy's forum when you spec out the scales you want, make sure the coding will support the protocol. Renishaw/RLS offer their scales coded in a wide variety of protocols (RS422, BISS C, BISS C+, SSI, SSI +RS422, SPI, SPI + RD422), resolutions, etc., might want to make sure Yuriy's code will support the protocol. I've worked with him some on my old iGaging Absolute scales, even mailed him one of the scales trying to hack the protocol they use. No luck yet, but still trying.
BTW, for not a lot more they have the Absolute model LM11 or the LM13 same as LM10 just a different readhead profile. The Touch DRO code would probably need tweaked a bit to work with the LM11 scales as they're a pure binary output. I know a couple guys who'd help out with the coding if you needed.

Hi Everyone. First- a HUGE thank you to Jim for helping us here. This has been a really good exercise on the LM10's and trying to find us a reliable and cost based replacement solution. I have my order queued up and ready to press the button .

Jim, I do not recall the IP rating of these and need to ask Jeager. I am about to setup for flood. I am tired of mist and the fog or smell or residue all over.

Mag scales -vs- Glass. I've been there.. Done that. for me, the Mag scales just fit the bill. I have XYZ glass 5us on 1 CNC mill, and have Mag scales on the 815 grinder. Encoders for the Centroid YMC-30 CNC. I recall some work and pics from DRO guys- They have some commentary on glass scales -vs- mag. Showed some glass that were just filthy and caked and unreliable over time (as I recall the pics or video). But it comes down to cost, hobby use, and how you run. Running flood all over, misting, or a rattlecan of WD. plstic, steel, Alu... End of the day: I suppose it is a matter of cost & personal choice. Both work. both perform. pick your poison right guys!

From the data- I think we have a reliable performer here. It is affordable. If anyone would like my help in getting a line to the Sales Rep Jeager, I can post along. Just PM me.

btw- I think I paid like $60-70 for the 3 axis DRO for the grinder. It also had a grinder mode... (jitter/ debounce) Plus menu settings & inputs for all types of inputs. Really flexible. Came w/ the mounting Arm, power cord, heavy packing, In short, I like these guys at Ditron thus far.

Work has been a killer this year so far. Just no time to hang out here of late... Hope everyone is doing well!
PS- What ever happened to Ray?

Gotta run, Everyone have a GREAT SPRING.
JEff.

Jim, I do not recall the IP rating of these and need to ask Jeager.

The DMR200 is listed as IP 67, and to look at it I would agree. Looks completely sealed. I think the electronics have been potted.

Attached is the only documentation I have.

I am about to setup for flood. I am tired of mist and the fog or smell or residue all over.

I have my fogless system down to about a 1/2 cup per hour, about 1 quart/8 hours of spindle time. No fog, and it pretty much all evaporates during use. But I am using kerosene.

Attachments

• DM.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Cool! Hey, Would you mind if I asked for the specs on your mist unit or who is the mfr? I need to buy something new asap.

PS- Is that straight Kero? Is that what they called white gas or something? you literally just pour and go? Does it smell bad. :) Thanks for everything!!!

Cool! Hey, Would you mind if I asked for the specs on your mist unit or who is the mfr? I need to buy something new asap.

Manufacturer, come on now, you can guess at that one. :grin: http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/digital-mist-coolant-pump.40405/

I have removed the pump from the system for now and am just operating off of tank pressure. Need to get the correct polyurethane tubing, the vinyl tubing does not hold up well in a peristaltic pump. I also have to change the design of the pump head, it needs wider bearings.

PS- Is that straight Kero? Is that what they called white gas or something? you literally just pour and go?

NO, not white gas. What they used to call white gas was just gasoline with no lead in it. All you can buy today is white gas. :)

Kerosene is actually a light oil, more like diesel but it smells much better, much less odor. You can even buy sented kerosene if you want, your shop could smell like roses or cinnamon. :grin: Works much better on aluminum than WD40.

Last edited:
Short final update and then I'll start a new thread in the next few days. I purchased a set of the Gen2 heads and tracks. I will be upgrading to the Mag Scales for X and Y and inputting these to the Centroid DC AIO controller. should be fun!

Back