Lms 3990 Mini Mill... Upgrades

I didn't really "fit" anything in the base. The UHMW was used to space the gas strut the correct distance from the base, the strut was then bolts to the UHMW, and then both were lowered down into the column.
Thanks Zoltan for clarifying how you used the UHMW spacer ,I understand it now.
Following the instruction that came with the LMS air spring kit, I just measured 14.1/2" from the top of the column and drilled a hole in the center of it.

4 corners,That would be a good upgrade, I thought about buying the Busy Bee RPM display that is specifically made for mini mills but the cost was too high($165 + tax), there is a handheld version for under $20.
If you can manage to do the upgrade you linked, yourself, it shouldn't cost that much.

That fellow seems to be asking USD 50 for the kit. The reverse switch was so rediculous simple! I used it today to tap some 1/4 20 holes in a QCTP holder I made.
I'm sure the kit that includes the tach is almost no work. Very tempting. As a novice machinist I've already smoked a couple of cheap chinesium end mills. My fault entirely, not the tools. I'm glad they weren't have decent cobalt end mills. I'm much more familiar with screaming router bits eating through maple. 4140 is not maple, apparently. If I had paid attention to the feeds and speeds charts, and had a way to know the speed, I might (possibly, who knows) have not ruined the end mills.

... If I had paid attention to the feeds and speeds charts, and had a way to know the speed, I might (possibly, who knows) have not ruined the end mills.

Four Corners, you are hardly alone in doing that; I've about $100 of "wall of shame" myself before I got the hang of it. You might want to look at either CNCCookbooks' G-Wizard, or High Speed Machining Advisor for your feed and speed needs. both are mature (and continually upgraded) programs that are used by numerous hobbyist class users.

Back