[Newbie] LMS 5100/7350 vs. Grizzly G0602

Hi all. I’m a beginner home machinist and I’m in need of opinions.

I’m going to buy my first metal lathe and I’m having trouble deciding. While I know a PM lathe seems to be preferred, they are outside my current budget. I think I’ve narrowed my choice down to either a LMS 5100 or even a 7350 or a Grizzly G0602. I know I’ve always read buy the biggest lathe you can. The LMS lathes seem to be much better quality but I’m concerned they are too small. The parts I currently want to make could be done on the LMS lathes. I want to be able to make useful tools for both the lathe and future mill. I’m also a little disappointed in the cost of the LMS vs what accessories you get with it. I know he Grizzly rests are crap but they are better than nothing?

The next issue is the opposite. I have no idea how I’m going to man handle the larger Grizzly lathe onto its stand. I’m in my late 50s and won’t have any help. I know an engine hoist or a hydraulic lift cart would probably do. The issue I have is no room in my garage for an engine hoist and while I could accommodate a lift cart it would be more in the way than not. Renting either would be possible but again loading and unloading either (assembled) in my truck alone doesn’t sound fun. The LMS lathes I could get in place much easier (I think).

What’s would you buy? Am I overlooking another option?

Thanks for your time.

One rental place in my area will bring the (for example) cherry picker to your house and (later) pick it up for a small fee.

I have also rented a trailer for a beam lifter. They had the beam lifter loaded onto the trailer, and I just left it on the trailer when I returned it, saving me time.

You might have to move some stuff out of your garage when you make the delivery. Hopefully it won’t be raining or snowing.

Maybe I need to think about the 5100 and add things over time to make myself feel better about the price. The plastic cranks bother me though. Maybe making new ones would be a good first project. Is it’s swing large enough for that? They don’t bother me on the C3 price point, but the plastic spindle gears of the C3 is a no go for me.
I can’t see myself shimming tools so I would end up buying a QCTP, but I would need that on the grizzly also. I keep thinking if I disassembled the Grizzly I could get it in place. I know deep down that would be a pain.

I’m glad I didn’t have to disassemble any of my machines when I brought them in. There was already so much to do even without that added task.

In the vintage lathes that I am familiar with, the LMS would be a Craftsman 109 and the Grizzly a SB9.
If you decide on the Grizzly, there are ways to get it on the bench alone, just takes some time.
Anything you could point me at? Lifting 400 pounds is really my biggest hold up. I’ve considered a cheap 500 pound Harbor Freight lift cart. (Of course they sent a 25% off coupon to me today) I wouldn’t trust it with the whole weight though. Disabling the lathe would would alleviate the worry and I know it has a reputation for needing to be cleaned before use. I worry about getting the spindle back in place accurately and without damage though. I also worry the spindle is so heavy I couldn’t get it back on without a chain hoist.

Anything you could point me at? Lifting 400 pounds is really my biggest hold up. I’ve considered a cheap 500 pound Harbor Freight lift cart. (Of course they sent a 25% off coupon to me today) I wouldn’t trust it with the whole weight though. Disabling the lathe would would alleviate the worry and I know it has a reputation for needing to be cleaned before use. I worry about getting the spindle back in place accurately and without damage though. I also worry the spindle is so heavy I couldn’t get it back on without a chain hoist.

Why not just rent an engine hoist from a local rental yard? When I brought in my PM-1030V, that’s what me and my Dad did, & we are both old & out of shape.

Why not just rent an engine hoist from a local rental yard? When I brought in my PM-1030V, that’s what me and my Dad did, & we are both old & out of shape.
Yes, so far I’ve not found one in my area that will deliver. I have a truck, but unloading and reloading an assembled engine crane by myself sounds painful. I need to keep looking.

you could always look at the micromark lathes,, the hotrod version just lacks the DRO's but has a tach. LMS sells the DRO kits so you could spread things out.. Macpod tach kit will work for these lathe also.. about 1/4 the cost..
I know the 7 x lathes are much more suited to my restrictions, but I struggle with paying as much or nearly as much as the larger lathe. I don’t need the added length of the larger lathe (I don’t think) The throw concerns me though. At first I wasn’t as concerned because I was looking at a C3. The price point was much lower and because of its size I think it would be easier to resale. When I started researching the C3 I saw too many YouTube videos were the plastic spindle gears stripped. Replacing them with metal ones looked sketchy also. Too many guys knocking the spindle out with a 2x4 and hammer. Lol does anyone know of a good (yet cheap) C3 that has metal spindle bearings? Sorry jumping all over the place here.

I know the 7 x lathes are much more suited to my restrictions, but I struggle with paying as much or nearly as much as the larger lathe. I don’t need the added length of the larger lathe (I don’t think) The throw concerns me though. At first I wasn’t as concerned because I was looking at a C3. The price point was much lower and because of its size I think it would be easier to resale. When I started researching the C3 I saw too many YouTube videos were the plastic spindle gears stripped. Replacing them with metal ones looked sketchy also. Too many guys knocking the spindle out with a 2x4 and hammer. Lol does anyone know of a good (yet cheap) C3 that has metal spindle bearings? Sorry jumping all over the place here.
*spindle gears

The lift cart would work.
The 1k lb would be a better choice due to table size and extra height..
Cribbing it up a little at a time on each end.
The Grizzly is the better deal, but that doesn't matter if you cannot use it.

The DRO on the 7350 can be bought from LMS and put on a 5100 (it is very inexpensive), the hand wheels can also be purchased from LMS. You could potentially turn 3 inch aluminum for the handwheels on a 5100, I just can't remember (for sure) whether the 5100 has a 4 inch chuck (but I believe it does). You would be using the "outside jaws" to grip the material.

The DRO on the 7350 calculates your cut depth by counting the fractions of a degree the wheel turns, as versus measuring how much your cross feed has actually moved. As long as you are going in one direction, on your cuts (which is the way 99 percent of your cuts will be), it is accurate. The most precise method is via glass or magnetic scales which measure how much your lathe has actually moved, and it neither knows or cares how much you moved your handwheels to achieve that much movement. The 7350 does have the very unique feature of providing a DRO value for your Compound, this is an unusual (and can be quite useful) feature. The 7350 is one of their top lathes, and I just get the feeling it gets a bit more love than some of their other models (but I cannot prove it).

Back