[Newbie] LMS 5100/7350 vs. Grizzly G0602

Scorn64

Registered
Registered
Hi all. I’m a beginner home machinist and I’m in need of opinions.

I’m going to buy my first metal lathe and I’m having trouble deciding. While I know a PM lathe seems to be preferred, they are outside my current budget. I think I’ve narrowed my choice down to either a LMS 5100 or even a 7350 or a Grizzly G0602. I know I’ve always read buy the biggest lathe you can. The LMS lathes seem to be much better quality but I’m concerned they are too small. The parts I currently want to make could be done on the LMS lathes. I want to be able to make useful tools for both the lathe and future mill. I’m also a little disappointed in the cost of the LMS vs what accessories you get with it. I know he Grizzly rests are crap but they are better than nothing?

The next issue is the opposite. I have no idea how I’m going to man handle the larger Grizzly lathe onto its stand. I’m in my late 50s and won’t have any help. I know an engine hoist or a hydraulic lift cart would probably do. The issue I have is no room in my garage for an engine hoist and while I could accommodate a lift cart it would be more in the way than not. Renting either would be possible but again loading and unloading either (assembled) in my truck alone doesn’t sound fun. The LMS lathes I could get in place much easier (I think).

What’s would you buy? Am I overlooking another option?

Thanks for your time.

I know that because the Grizzly is larger, it will be most people's choice (I bet they all own monster trucks ;) ).

I went with the LMS 7350, and didn't look back. It has been solid.

lathe on stone base image scaled.jpg

Looking at the features, the price difference would push me towards the 7350, also.
Plus it is 3lb lighter.

I know that because the Grizzly is larger, it will be most people's choice (I bet they all own monster trucks ;) ).

I went with the LMS 7350, and didn't look back. It has been solid.

View attachment 349433
Do you know Little Machine Shop ever has any sales? With delivery and basic accessories the 7350 currently would be about $2000. I would feel a lot better about it if where about $200 cheaper. Lol

they do sales , I'm planning on getting 7350,, waiting till late Jan.. early Feb..

I have never seen the 7350 on sale, I have also learned to never say never. I am a former professional machinist, and I knew the size of parts I would be making (fountain pens, fountain pen parts, small machined parts (which are less than 10 inches long and 3 inches in diameter). The lathe I got has been shamelessly kitted out with metal gears, carriage lock, live center for the tailstock, Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, 4 jaw 4 inch chuck, steady rest with ball bearings, extended cross feed, upgraded tapered spindle bearings, and brass gibs. Also the basic upgrade kit which has enhanced gib screws and thumbwheel access screws for the gear set cover. ... and other stuff. A companion Milling machine was also purchased, for those odd jobs that are hard to do on a lathe. It punches way above it's weight class, with proper use.

I have never seen the 7350 on sale, I have also learned to never say never. I am a former professional machinist, and I knew the size of parts I would be making (fountain pens, fountain pen parts, small machined parts (which are less than 10 inches long and 3 inches in diameter). The lathe I got has been shamelessly kitted out with metal gears, carriage lock, live center for the tailstock, Jacobs chuck for the tailstock, 4 jaw 4 inch chuck, steady rest with ball bearings, extended cross feed, upgraded tapered spindle bearings, and brass gibs. Also the basic upgrade kit which has enhanced gib screws and thumbwheel access screws for the gear set cover. ... and other stuff. A companion Milling machine was also purchased, for those odd jobs that are hard to do on a lathe. It punches way above it's weight class, with proper use.
Maybe I need to think about the 5100 and add things over time to make myself feel better about the price. The plastic cranks bother me though. Maybe making new ones would be a good first project. Is it’s swing large enough for that? They don’t bother me on the C3 price point, but the plastic spindle gears of the C3 is a no go for me.
I can’t see myself shimming tools so I would end up buying a QCTP, but I would need that on the grizzly also. I keep thinking if I disassembled the Grizzly I could get it in place. I know deep down that would be a pain.

The Grizzly machine is a whole other class than the LMS machines.

In the vintage lathes that I am familiar with, the LMS would be a Craftsman 109 and the Grizzly a SB9.
If you decide on the Grizzly, there are ways to get it on the bench alone, just takes some time.

you could always look at the micromark lathes,, the hotrod version just lacks the DRO's but has a tach. LMS sells the DRO kits so you could spread things out.. Macpod tach kit will work for these lathe also.. about 1/4 the cost..

Back