LMS 8.5 x 20

Bill, not sure about a backgear. But, did you check out the link I posted in message #2 above? That mod was done on a smaller machine than we're talking about, but offhand I don't see why it couldn't be done with a 8.5x20. I was impressed when I saw it.

Tom

Yea, remember reading that one. I was considering it, but my lathe will get down to 50 so figured it wouldn't benefit me that much. Nice project though. Maybe you should consider it? As long as you are just slowing the spindle down, you won't affect your spindle to leadscrew ratios for threading. Sounds like a nice project. I'll watch! :D

MAE,
The main leadscrew is metric, 2mm pitch I think. But, I find it immaterial as the lathe doesn't have a threading dial. You leave the half nuts engaged to cut threads, same as cutting metric threads on a lathe with an inch leadscrew. Cross slide and compound slide leadscrews are 20tpi with "true inch" type dials graduated in .001" increments, one turn equals .050".

Here's a link to the owner's manual if you haven't found it already. It answered a lot of my questions and I called LMS and grilled them about the lathe and its features before I hit the purchase button. They were very helpful. I'm glad to answer any questions that I can.
http://littlemachineshop.com/gallery/ug/3540 Bench Lathe Users Guide.pdf

Bill,
I'll have to mull over that project for awhile. :thinking: I was a little leery of the 100 rpm minimum speed, but so far, so good.

Tom

If you have to leave the half nuts engaged, then just put a handwheel on the tailstock end of the leadscrew. That will give you very good control, especially threading up to a shoulder.

Back