Local Machine Service/Repair

Kscar3318

Registered
Registered
Long story short I've gone through my RF-45 head to toe and now that it's all back together I'm still having the same issue with my quill. It has a spot about 1/3rd of the way down (extending toward the table) where it gets so tight I really have to put some muscle on the handle to get it past. I blued the quill itself and I can tell where it's rubbing (or worse grinding) and for the life of me I can't tell what is causing the rub. Does anybody know of any machinery repair company's around the Dallas area? Or someone who is experienced with milling machines and/or mill drills (preferably local and can come see it in person). I'm about to pull my hair out, any help is very much appreciated!!

Attachments

• 16429786921923553298625301198261.jpg
    16429786921923553298625301198261.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 21
did you measure the quill at the bottom and the top?
is it tapered or the same size?

i suspect it is tapered, and that the casting is tapered. My clausing is like this too, probably from wear.

if it is tapered, then others who know (Richard King) might have a method to fix it.

edit: it may also be the teeth on the quill are not as deep so the gear can't go all the way in. causing it to bind up front.

did you measure the quill at the bottom and the top?
is it tapered or the same size?

i suspect it is tapered, and that the casting is tapered. My clausing is like this too, probably from wear.

if it is tapered, then others who know (Richard King) might have a method to fix it.

edit: it may also be the teeth on the quill are not as deep so the gear can't go all the way in. causing it to bind up front.
Hmm, no I didn't think to measure it since it was working fine before I took it out to begin with. I should've known better than to "fix" what wasn't broken to begin with....don't get me wrong it was definitely used and abused before I got it but it was working fine...

I'll go measure it now to make sure, thank you for the input woodchucker!

Hmm, no I didn't think to measure it since it was working fine before I took it out to begin with. I should've known better than to "fix" what wasn't broken to begin with....don't get me wrong it was definitely used and abused before I got it but it was working fine...

I'll go measure it now to make sure, thank you for the input woodchucker!
oh, you said it was giving you problems before " now that it's all back together I'm still having the same issue with my quill"
so I assume it was problematic to begin with.
either it's tapered, or the teeth are not as deep and it's pushing the quill forward in the bore.
you can measure it, since you are showing it with the bluing.

oh, you said it was giving you problems before " now that it's all back together I'm still having the same issue with my quill"
so I assume it was problematic to begin with.
either it's tapered, or the teeth are not as deep and it's pushing the quill forward in the bore.
you can measure it, since you are showing it with the bluing.
Sorry your right; I could've been more clear. When I got the mill about a year ago, everything more or less worked fine.

About a month ago, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the quill out to see what condition it was in, etc. When I tried to put it back in after that was when I first started having the issue. Then, I stumbled across a thread where a guy disassembled the head/gears on his machine to replace bearings and so forth and I decided to do the same, hoping it would remedy my problem as well. I just finished putting everything back together and was frustrated to find I still have the same issue.

I bet it's the teeth like you said, that would make sense. Any idea how to fix that?

Sorry your right; I could've been more clear. When I got the mill about a year ago, everything more or less worked fine.

About a month ago, curiosity got the best of me and I pulled the quill out to see what condition it was in, etc. When I tried to put it back in after that was when I first started having the issue. Then, I stumbled across a thread where a guy disassembled the head/gears on his machine to replace bearings and so forth and I decided to do the same, hoping it would remedy my problem as well. I just finished putting everything back together and was frustrated to find I still have the same issue.

I bet it's the teeth like you said, that would make sense. Any idea how to fix that?
well, assuming it worked before, it's probably where they are timed with the quill feed.
Does your handle and spline come out without removing a lot of stuff? if you can just pull it out, install it in a different clocking and try.

If not pull the quill, rotate the handle and put it back in... it may take a while to find where they mesh best ...

if it's the teeth.

Yes as woodchucker said check the "timing".
Also, consider carefully inspecting the rack on all sides looking for burrs, swarf or anything that might cause the difference. This includes anything trapped inside the quill.

Daryl
MN

How is the spindle captured in the quill?
Is there anything that might be pulling the quill off center?

Daryl
MN

How is the spindle captured in the quill?
Is there anything that might be pulling the quill off center?

Daryl
MN
Initially I was worried about that, so I turned it in briefly to check and everything appeared to be off center. I think woodchucker hit the nail on the head about the rack and pinion not aligning just right. I'm fixing to go back in the garage and look at it some more.

I really appreciate all the replies!!

So after going back out and trying some things I learned a few things. I tried adjusting the quill feed/quill like mentioned before to no avail. So i decided to take the quill feed and fine feed off so that way any potential pressure from gear misalignment would not be possible. I then removed the quill and inspected for burrs and debris, cleaned it, and tried reinserting it. The quill will go about 2/3 of the way back in, but then like before it sticks and will only continue to move with significant force. I'm at a loss here...thoughts?

Back