Loctite 262

H

Hukshawn

Forum Guest
Register Today
I used loctite 262 to push a bearing ball into a hole with the intention of grinding it flat for a hard bearing surface. I did this yesterday mid day. Whats the dry time? How long should I wait before grinding to avoid having the ball come loose?

Loctite has product tech info. I use LocTite 430, which is for metal bonding.

For grinding bearing I just pop em half way down a 5C collet, close tightly and and grind. An other way is drill or bore undersize hole in scrap of aluminum, press ball in and reverse press out from other end when done. If no press a BFH and healthy swing will work.

The ball is already pressed into the work piece. I was just looking for a recommended dry time before I start putting coolant and pressure to it.

I can see now that I should have just super glued it.

Isn't loctite going to loosen when heat from grinding happens?
DBQ49er

Yes, I setup coolant on my surface grinder.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/loctite-4087.htm?nodeid=8802623029249

262 is an anaerobic sealant/locker. It only cures when away from air, it must be confined. Your ball bearing will not confine much of it, so it will all seem wet to you (because it still is wet) when the portion sufficiently kept away from air is cured. You being in Ontario, another issue is temperature. At a comfortable room temperature it will cure pretty quickly. When it is cold it cures very slowly. Go easy with the grinding, it may not be held by very much area, only the area with a good tight fit will cure, the areas with more than a couple thousands clearance do nothing.

Loctite has very good instructions and lists the properties of all its products online. Do yourself a favor and do some study before picking a product. Read the fine print. Most of the people in stores are at least as clueless as the average shopper.

I feel I may have used the wrong product in this situation.
I have a cyanoacrylate 2 part glue/spray I likely would have had better luck with. At the very least it's instant harden.
Thank you for the info.

If using cyanoacrylate, be very careful with temperature while you are grinding it. C/A fails at fairly low temperatures. That "attribute" is often used by machinists for quick setups of thin or otherwise difficult to hold work. Machine it, heat it a bit, and it pops right off the backer.

That’s true, and I’ve seen clickspring do it 100 times....
What would have been the correct course of action to glue a bearing in a hole...?

Back