Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Brain Coral

Active User
Registered
Hello gang :)

This forum was looking a little empty, so I went out and bought a L&S lathe... ;)

I have been casually looking for a larger lathe for some time now, and this one showed up on the local Kijiji ads. The pictures were a little fuzzy, so I arranged to go have a look at it, a week ago, a half hour's drive away from me.

Lodge and Shipley  Lathe.jpg

It was way bigger in person... !!! :eek: The owner had won it in an auction when the local Potash mine closed down, and had planned on using it to turn large wooden bowls. He doesn't have 3 phase power and the motor is wired 575 volts, so he just never got around to it and decided to sell it. So, I didn't get the chance to see it run, but I got him to take the head stock cover off and had a look inside. Everything looked brand new and still nice and oily. The ways also look to be in real nice shape, so I bought it. It took me the rest of last week to move stuff around in my shop to make room. I hired a local tilt-and-tow wrecker, who is an excellent operator, to move the lathe for me.

Here's a few pics of the move....

IMG_0177 (1024x768).jpg IMG_0175 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0178 (1024x768).jpg

I'll post this for now....

Brian :)

IMG_0178 (1024x768).jpg

Brain,

That is a fine running piece of equipment you have there. I saw your thread on the other forum the other day and the lathe that John Oder mentioned, I wound up with it. I pretty much rebuilt/recondition it from the ground up. I don't have it anymore, it went to a shop down in Laredo, Texas. I don't know how I get it to you, but I have a 12" 4-jaw chuck here that will fit your machine if your interested in it. Also have a couple of L-1 back plates you can have too! I just notice the P & W in the background, another nice lathe to have!
If you need any assistance in figuring out any of the stuff on the "Loose & Shakey" let me know, I'll try to help.

Ken

Oh, the slide rule calculator that is missing from your lathe, I think I have some good pictures of it if you like for me to post, just let me know.

Hello Ken :)

Thank you for your replies. I do have an American address in Maine that I use to have heavy items shipped to me, so maybe we can work something out. I am very much interested in the chuck and back plates.

Yes, I would love to see some pics of the slide rule, if you will. I realize that obtaining a replacement is a far stretch. I suppose that someone saw something shiny and decided to have it for himself.

I am looking forward to getting this lathe up and running.

Brian :)

Here's some pictures of the slide rule.

When you are ready, I'll be glad to get with you on what I like to get, price wise, for the chuck and back plates and how to ship. No hurry on my end.

Ken

DSCN1305.JPG

DSCN1306.JPG

DSCN1307.JPG

DSCN1308.JPG

DSCN1309.JPG

DSCN1310.JPG

DSCN1311.JPG

DSCN1312.JPG

DSCN1313.JPG

DSCN1314.JPG

I wish i was your neighbor Brian!
I'd love to stop by and drool on your equipment for awhile :)

Nice machine , not to big by my standards. Wish I had one in that size range. Good luck she cleaned up nicely .

Back