Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Thanks so much, Ken, for the clear pics of the slide rule. I would love to find an original, but with all of the pics, I can't see why I can't print one out by hand. Is that your handy work, or John's?

Brian

Thanks so much, Ken, for the clear pics of the slide rule. I would love to find an original, but with all of the pics, I can't see why I can't print one out by hand. Is that your handy work, or John's?

Brian
On the slide rule? That's factory. I guarantee John could duplicate that by hand and you couldn't tell his work from that from the factory. At least in his earlier years. I've known John Oder for many years, even worked for the man, and he can produce some fine works of art, including making what he designed, too!

Well, I'll be darned... I guess that I was comparing it to Keith Rucker's lathe. If I do recall, his is brass with a black background, and cast.

That is very cool that you know John Oder. I have the highest respect for the man, even though I have never met him...

Brian :)

I just notice the P & W in the background, another nice lathe to have!

That lathe in the background is a Prentice Bros. lathe from about 1915 with a very neat headstock design. All gears and clutches with no cone pulleys. I'll have to start a thread on it as well. It was to be my primary winter project, but now I have two... :)

Brian

That lathe in the background is a Prentice Bros. lathe from about 1915 with a very neat headstock design. All gears and clutches with no cone pulleys. I'll have to start a thread on it as well. It was to be my primary winter project, but now I have two... :)

Brian
For some reason I was thinking P & W. I will wait patiently for your posting on your Prentice Brother's lathe.

I intended to mention, make sure the Bijur oil pump in the apron is pumping oil to the entire carriage assembly and not just the apron. Mine was completely stopped up from the apron all the way thru the saddle to the backside. What a mess it was to clean out and get lubricating again. In fact, I installed a automatic cycling lube unit just for the saddle and cross slide.

Hello Ken,

I intend on taking the saddle and apron off the lathe and will go through it thoroughly, as you suggested. I took the tail stock apart, and off the lathe last night. When this was repainted, they painted over the oil sight glass.... :eek:

Here's a few pics....

IMG_0237 (1024x768) - Copy.jpg IMG_0238 (1024x768).jpg IMG_0239 (1024x768).jpg IMG_0240 (768x1024) - Copy.jpg IMG_0241 (1024x768) - Copy.jpg

Ken, do you know if there would have been oiling wicks from the oil sump to the exit holes ? The holes seem to be very near the top of the sump, and I would think that would have been the case. I don't see any mention in my parts diagram, but I might add them, just the same.

Brian

Ken, do you know if there would have been oiling wicks from the oil sump to the exit holes ? The holes seem to be very near the top of the sump, and I would think that would have been the case. I don't see any mention in my parts diagram, but I might add them, just the same.

Brian
Yes, there should be oiling wicks to capitulate the oil to the slide surfaces. Sure shows a lot of wear there. Probably will have to shim up between the two pieces to bring the center height back up to the spindle height. I'll check and see if I have some pictures of mine when I rebuilt the tailstock.
Ken

DSCN1421.JPG

Hi Ken :)

The oiling wicks only made sense to me. The originals likely rotted away over time. There is a slight ridge of wear visible on the flat way of the tail stock bed. You can catch it, barely, with a fingernail, but I have yet to measure the difference between the original hand scraped surface and the worn area. After nearly 65 years of use, I will expect that there will be some wear in this lathe. It is, unfortunate, that it wasn't properly maintained throughout it's working career, but I will deal with whatever comes my way.

Just to be clear, I will not be regrinding the ways, nor Turciting the saddle, but I will work hard at getting this lathe working much better than it did before I purchased it. I don't have the money to do a full restoration, but I will likely replace all of the bearings in the apron, and there are many,

Brian :)

When you start getting into the bearings in the apron, don't get all hung up on all of the bearing numbers on the existing bearings. Most I replaced with more standard bearings numbers and went with all sealed, not shielded bearings where I could. There is one roller bearing that was a bear getting the outer race out of the housing. Had to go borrow a internal puller from O Riley Auto Supply to pull it out. I would suggest you rebuilding the Bijur oil pump also. Replace the felt and screen. Those parts are readily available on the net. The pump itself is untainable at any cost, unless you get lucky and find a good used one out there. Hopefully, the gearing is in decent shape. L & S parts, I believe, are available from Monarch Machine Tool at gold standard prices. Like me, make your own!

Yeah, I hope your bed is in better shape than mine was. I did regrind ways on mine. And yes, I used Molglice to raise the carriage back up in proper alignment. I presume you found my posts on Practical Machinists on the rebuild I did on my L&S. Doing all of this is not necessary in all cases. And your lathe looks to be in decent shape and probably has very little wear to the ways, if any at all.

Back