Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Hi Ken,

I am on the east coast of Canada, in New Brunswick, about 2 1/2 hours from Maine. It looks like it is approximately an 18 hour trip, one way.

Brian

Yeah, your way up there! Not much up in the northeast now days. I'll keep my eyes open if something comes up.

I finally got a start on getting the damaged gears out of the lathe. I suppose that I worked on it for an hour or so, yesterday afternoon.

I began, by making a thick washer of sorts, in order to use a slide hammer to remove the bearing retainer from the head stock for the sliding gear shaft.

IMG_0726 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0732 (768x1024).jpg

I then began to remove the outer bearing block from the head stock. There are two allen head pin bolts, deep inside two holes, that need to come out, as well as the three obvious ones. I missed them, initially, because the holes were filled with oil. As well, I removed the nut, lock washer, and gear from the end of the clutch shaft, in order to remove the slotted screws and bearing retainer from the clutch shaft. This was necessary to finally be able to tap the bearing block, up and out.

IMG_0746 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0751 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0753 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0756 (1024x768).jpg

I'll post this for now...

Brian

I then moved on to the inner bearing block. Initially, I thought that I could remove the pump from the bearing block, and then remove the sliding gear shaft, with the brake drum attached, but I realized that I would have to remove the clutch shaft, with the oil pump and bearing block, as one unit, due to how the oil pump is attached. There were two hidden allen head pin screws in this bearing block as well...

IMG_0760 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0762 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0767 (1024x768).jpg

I will work on the next shaft, this afternoon.....After, I do my last quarterly paperwork !!! I am such a procrastinator when it comes to book keeping....

It looks like there isn't enough room to slide the "brake" shaft back, to clear the brake cone, so I will have to remove the brake cone support block, to remove the shaft. As well, I still have to remove the entire shift lever assembly.

IMG_0768 (1024x768).jpg

Brian :)

You need one of them old hand impact wrenches made for removing screws. Dad had one just for removing those flat head screws.
I feel for you, for every bolt, nut, screw you remove, and the sub-assemblies lets hope you don't have to take them down. Cover that stuff with clean dry cotton cloth or similar to keep the dirt, grime and so forth from contaminating.
Thanks for posting detail pictures. Ken

Thanks Ken,

I do have, and have been using one of those hand impact drivers, to remove the slotted screws. They work like a charm. I think that I might try to repair the two gears, by ordering and machining a couple of stock gears, for a press fit with Loctite for now, until I can afford a donor lathe.

Brian

Thanks Ken,

I do have, and have been using one of those hand impact drivers, to remove the slotted screws. They work like a charm. I think that I might try to repair the two gears, by ordering and machining a couple of stock gears, for a press fit with Loctite for now, until I can afford a donor lathe.

Brian
That's what I would do. I've made several repairs in the past using stock gears. On of the last repairs I made, I broached a hex in the bore of the gear and milled a hex on the shaft for a snug fit to the gear. Locktighted the two together and installed tapered pin to hold in place. Worked like a charm. Broaching a hex in a larger gear like your fixing to do is probably out of the question unless you have a shaper or vertical slotter. Just offering a thought on keying a gear to the shaft.

The old lathe has had a hard life. It's in retirement now, won't have to work as hard now, right?

Keep us in the loop on the repair.

Ken

BTW: been watching your thread over on PM, That Tyrone guy, he something else. He has been there and done it, too. I like his postings, too.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your support and suggestions. I actually contacted that link to see how much it would cost to ship that lathe to my door. It is likely quite reasonable, given the weight, size and distance, but would render my lathe a real money pit. I would consider going to get it myself, but I fear that my 2010 F150 Quad Cab 4x4, even with the towing package and towing transmission, I would be beyond the legal towing limit. There are at least 3 or 4 items that I could use from that lathe. But, if I had that lathe at my shop, would I end up cannibalizing this one to fix that one? Or, would I have a hard time cannibalizing either one....

Yeah, I really like Tyrone. He's helped me out quite a bit over the years. Such a wealth of knowledge.

Brian :)

Very enjoyable read. Started over coffee this morning and a brew this evening.
Admire your sticktooitofness in regard to diving into that headstock.
I guess I really need to pay attention when I 'trip over' any 'large' iron.
There's two that I've seen the last couple of years and I'm now racking my brain trying to remember.
Can't even remember the makes.
There's a scrapper an hour or so south of here that I real need to go back and visit. He hangs onto machinery when it comes it or
he picks it up at auction. Should start making a list up...

Thank you Dan :)

It's wonderful sites like this one, with all of you guys helping and encouraging, that make it possible for me to have the confidence to tackle such a repair and project.

I am a carpenter by trade, but always had an interest in machining. 7 years ago, I had not even touched a lathe, let alone run one. Up to now, I have purchased 9 lathes and two milling machines. I still have both milling machines, but have refurbished most of the lathes and sold them. Well, I still have 4 lathes in the shop, but one of them is just about ready to leave the roost. ;)

I really enjoy making parts and fixing these machines. It really challenges me, which I thoroughly enjoy. It still blows my mind, that I can produce a part to within a couple of tenths... but without you guys and this site, I would be nowhere near where I am now.

Cheers.... :)

Brian

Back