Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Not trying to encourage you, if you have a shipping depot nearby state side. You could get HGR to direct the shipment to that depot where you could pick it up. They are fairly open on who to use for shipping larger equipment like that lathe. My last lathe I bought from them, I had it shipped to a shipping depot in San Antonio. When it arrived, I went up there and picked it up. Of course, the lathe and stuff I bought, total weight was only 2800 lbs. I saved about $400 going that route rather than have it shipped to my door steps in Victoria, 120 miles away.

Enjoying the show here. Love big lathes! I remember reading early on that this LS was around 60 years old. Is that correct and do you know the year of manufacture? -Just curious...

Thanks

Ray C.

Yeah, Lodge & Shipley started introducing the Powerturn in late 1954 to early 1955. In that transition time, there are a few lathes out there that have subassemblies from the model X on the Powerturn models. Actually, the Powerturn was a makeover of the model X. I had a 20" L & S like Brians, born about the same time as his was born, too.

Enjoying the show here. Love big lathes! I remember reading early on that this LS was around 60 years old. Is that correct and do you know the year of manufacture? -Just curious...

Thanks

Ray C.
OK, do we really need to mention 60 yrs old and the 1950's in the same sentence? My knees might hear you! :grin:
And yeah, you are correct, the big lathes are cool.

Brian,

I notice HGR has it marked down to $1000. If you had the ways and means to do so, I would pull the headstock, tailstock carriage, QCGB and leave the rest. As least get the headstock and leave the rest.

Hi Ken,

A local fellow finally got to me with a shipping price, at mid week on that lathe, that was a lot cheaper than my other quote. But by the time I had put in the offer, the lathe had already been sold. It didn't show that it had been sold, and the salesman that I was corresponding with didn't know that either. I must have missed buying it by a day or so.

That's too bad..... but even at the better shipping quote, by the time I paid for the lathe, shipping, brokerage fees, taxes, and forklift on my end, it still would have added up to between $3,000.00 and $4,000.00 in my shop.

I absolutely love the area that I live in, but sometimes I wish that I was closer to heavy iron... :)

That was a really good lead Ken. I am still disappointed that I didn't buy it in time.

So, I will have to carry on and repair the lathe as best I can. Now that I know what to look for, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Brian :)

Yeah, It's kind of the same way here, too. At least I wouldn't have to pay brokerage fees down here. Still shipping would have been around $1500 for me just to get it to near to me and transferred to a roll back and deliver, would easily add $500 to the price. Any old iron that comes up for sale down here is either worn out or too expensive to buy. I'll keep an watch for anything that comes up. Again, the gear shop in Dallas I used to do business with many moons ago, I'm sure have made these gears before. Probably be just as easy to get a gear shop up your direction to make them too. Like you were saying, find stock gears and splice in for replacements.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for all of your help and encouragement... :)

At this point, I just have to look at it as maybe a blessing in disguise. As I have said before, the 3 winter months are usually my slowest in my business. I have the extra money on hand, but I might be wishing that I hadn't spent it, come April.

I finally got to the last shaft, late this afternoon. To push the shaft out of the head stock, I made a very simple "pusher". I took a piece of hex stock (didn't need to be hex, just what I had laying around), and bored one end a little larger than a 5/16" carriage bolt, to a depth of just a little deeper than the threaded length. I chose a carriage bolt, because it has a domed head, that fit the center drilled hole of the shaft, as well, it has a square flat just under the head of the bolt, to which I could use a wrench to keep the bolt from turning, while I tightened a nut against the hex rod. The other end of the hex rod was against the cast wall. It's hard to see what's going on in the pics, but as the nut is tightened, the whole assembly continues to grow in length, pushing the shaft, with control, out of the head stock.

IMG_0915 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0909 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0912 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0914 (768x1024).jpg

Wow.... kind of a weird new format for posting pics. I don't like it one bit...

Anyway..... it looks like the gears have been hardened beyond the root of the teeth by at least 1/4", which may prove difficult when trying to machine the original gear body down, to accept a gear ring.

At least I was able to push the shaft out of the head stock without any further damage.

Brian

Back