Lodge and Shipley 16"x8' Model X Lathe

Glad to see you're back. That Lodge and Shipley is lucky machine. Thanks for the updates, keep it up man!

Brian,

Hope all is well. Any updates? Keep it up, we all want to see that machine alive and well again.

-Jake

Hi Jake :)

Thank you for your concern... :) My girlfriend has been going through some life threatening medical issues, again, so I have been preoccupied with that, as well, as this time of year is crazy busy for me, as a carpenter..... But, I have been making some slow progress, and I am determined to get this lathe up, and running. I have the second gear, bored, faced, and ready to plow a keyway into it. Initially, I thought that I would do the keyway on the lathe, with a boring bar, and manually manipulating the saddle feed to apply the cuts. I have done this successfully in the past, but I had to make a new boring bar to take a 5/16" HSS cutter, and I had so much chatter, that I resorted to plan "B". I bought a new 5/16" keyway broach, and made a bushing to suit. I have not cut the keyway yet, using my hydraulic press, as I still have to cut the 5/16" cutter path in the bushing in my mill. I do have some pics of the current progress, but I "washed" my Iphone in the washing machine a couple of days ago. I may have lost those pics, and am waiting for a replacement Iphone, that will likely be delivered tomorrow. I am kind of laughing at my post so far, as it may seem like.... "What else could go wrong ? ... !!! But it is not all bad... I will persevere... :)

Brian

Brian,

It's been a while since we've heard from you on this project. Any more progress lately? I love seeing the work you've been doing with this Lodge and Shipley, but also am familiar with life issues that take more precedence. Keep it up! And just remember, I'm pulling for ya!

-Jake

Back