Lodge and Shipley, heavy turning

jakes_66

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Here's a project I thought might interest the L&S crowd. We don't get a lot of heavy machining projects like this anymore, but once in a while we fire up the old Model G 25/35 and the Model X.

The material: 15" dia 4140 QT, approx 41" long
2018-04-30 11.32.02.jpg2018-04-30 14.10.21.jpg
The setup: Model G for machining the center for the tailstock
2018-04-30 14.48.13.jpg
Model X ready to do the finish turning.
2018-04-30 14.48.26.jpg
This project is in the shop as I'm typing. I'll post some more photos as the process goes along. I can't guarantee I'll catch every step, but I'll try!

Enjoy!

Here's the center cut now. I switched cameras, so I hope these photos show some more detail.

IMG_3193[1].JPG
IMG_3194[1].JPG
IMG_3195[1].JPG
IMG_3196[1].JPG

IMG_3197[1].JPG

IMG_3198[1].JPG

IMG_3199[1].JPG

IMG_3200[1].JPG

IMG_3197[1].JPG

Heh, heh, very kool.....reminds me of the 30" x 12' American lathe we had in the shop I worked at. I turned some pretty large stuff on that ol' girl.

I'll wager that workpiece weighs something- what's it for?
Mark

I'll wager that workpiece weighs something- what's it for?
Mark
It's the main input shaft for a large feed pellet extruder at one of the local poultry feed mills. The assistant shop manager tells me the electric motor is several hundred horsepower (I think he said 600?).

The mill plant manager says that electric motor uses more electrical power on startup than the average American household uses in a month...

:disillusion:

The workpiece weighs in around 2,100 lbs before machining. The reason for such a large piece is an attempt to solve a problem. We used to make a smaller shaft for them that got a flange welded, but that was not holding up. They have decided to try making the flange integral with the shaft.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

The taper roller bearing that installs on the one end of this shaft is $$$ 5 figures $$$

I see a huge pile of chips in your future. ;)

It's the main input shaft for a large feed pellet extruder at one of the local poultry feed mills. The assistant shop manager tells me the electric motor is several hundred horsepower (I think he said 600?).

The mill plant manager says that electric motor uses more electrical power on startup than the average American household uses in a month...

:disillusion:

The workpiece weighs in around 2,100 lbs before machining. The reason for such a large piece is an attempt to solve a problem. We used to make a smaller shaft for them that got a flange welded, but that was not holding up. They have decided to try making the flange integral with the shaft.

$$$$$$$$$$$$

The taper roller bearing that installs on the one end of this shaft is $$$ 5 figures $$$

All that to feed chickens! Wow!

FYI: Amazing that Sam's club sells roasted chickens for $5 each. BTW: The Sam's club in my area sells 600 chickens a day, M-F and about 750 per day Saturday and Sunday.

Ray

Jay is the machinist doing the work. He has decades of experience and has been doing machine work since he was in the Airforce (working on a maintenance crew on F-100 Super Sabres when they were the newest fighter in the fleet).

Jay has been working here since 1971, he's old school and runs a tight ship. No nonsense, shows up every day and out-works most of our other employees.

IMG_3201.JPG

Back