Lodge and Shipley, heavy turning

Get that guy some duck boards, or a stall-mat at least.

Get that guy some duck boards, or a stall-mat at least.
Of the (2) machinists we employ, Jay does not like the mats. It baffles me that he can put up with that hard floor for hours everyday, but there are mats in front of every machine he does not normally operate. Flustered

Attachments

• 20180501_120502[1].mp4
    10.7 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Good boots/tough feet or both lol. Jobs like where there is a large amount of material to come off I either find a stool to perch on, or once it's running well, I don't babysit it. I've done my share of heavy iron. The roughouts get kind of old.

Too bad the video wasn't longer, but I'm guessing Jay doesn't like having folks watching over his shoulder :cool 2:
Mark
ps ask Jay if he wouldn't mind more video of the part being made- I'm sure a lot of us would enjoy seeing it
I know I would

Reminds me of the steel mill rollers we repaired , they were about 5' x 12" x 6" journals on each end. I must have machined a ton of weld off all those in the 70ts. Weld em up machine to size and repeat. It was work and happy to do it all over if I could. Love those lathes , nice shop.

We had a similar situation with a two piece crankshaft in a cement plant. They wanted one made from billet, we started with 24" 4140 about 10' long. We were cutting about 200 pounds per hour rouging it.

This project is not in a rush. Jay has been working on it as other priorities permit. Today's progress includes lots of roughing as you can imagine.

Back