Lodge and Shipley lathe parts availability

LEEQ

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am wondering if there are readily available parts for this brand of machine. I bought a bport mill in part because I could get parts and I would like the same for a future lathe project. The project is later, but the purchase stage may be now. I found a deal that I will look at if I don't have to spend a million on parts or manufacture parts I will have no specs on. I would also love info on this brand as it is pretty much foreign to me. thanks, Lee.

I Have a 1954 Model 20" Lodge & Shipley Standard Duty Gap Bed lathe that I've been reconditioning/ rebuilding for the last four years. As of now, I haven't needed to make any replacement parts, knock on wood. A number of the levers, knobs, hand wheels have been nicely welded back together with either silver solder or brazing rod.

Unless you have very deep pockets, repair parts are very expensive, especially if it involves gears. All bearings are readily available at any bearing supply house except for the Timken spindle bearings. "0" precision Timken bearings $$$$.

I believe that what's left to L & S is now owned by Monarch Machine Tool. Here is a link to their website.

http://www.monarchlathe.com/services/parts

well parts aren't looking super available, but I haven't talked to anyone at Monarch yet either. I'll probably call the owner and see if it's still available.

Hey Lee,

What's the latest on the Bridgeport? Did Rich ever come by?

Steve

Lee,

What size/ model lathe do you have?

What is it that you are looking for in the way of parts?

Do you have any picture you can share with us?

Ken

The Bridgeport is still in the works, I haven't gotten help yet. Spring/summer has taken off and robbed most of my free time. I haven't bought the old L and S. I was curious before jumping in headfirst this time. The owner took a deposit on the machine from someone, but will call me if that falls through. I appreciate the help!

Back