Log furnature tool build

My first experience with a 4 inch tenon cutter using a large 350 RPM Milwaukee drill was quite enlightening.
It looked a bit intimidating holding it but I was pleasantly surprised that the torque on the drill was quite minimal
and powered through even the knots easily producing fine ribbons of wood material. The tenon cutter is adjusted
to cut very fine shavings and in reality it is a rotary planer and incapable of digging in if adjusted properly.
Common sense would tell one that some hardwoods might be more of a challenge causing one to be prepared.:)
I say some hardwoods because big tooth aspen and basswood for example although technically hardwoods are
very soft woods. The term hardwood or softwood is somewhat of a misnomer and doesn't really have much to
do with the density or hardness. Birch(hardwood) cuts nicely in green form as well as balsam fir(softwood).
I have cut a lot of 1/2 inch holes steel plate with a hand powered electric drill and that will definitely get your attention
more than using a tenon tool. I'm sure many of you guys know what I am talking about...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::)s-l500.jpg
This particular Milwaukee probably weighs in at least 35 pounds or so with the tenon cutter mounted in the chuck.
(In retrospect, that's what would have been a better choice drilling the 1/2 in holes in steel plate....) :rolleyes:

I havn't tried making tenons with ironwood or hickory(very hard hardwood) yet but if I do you can bet I will start with a
smaller diameter piece.;)

Last edited:
Back