[4]

Logan 11" lathe spindle bearings

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

daveog

Registered
Hello,

I have a couple of questions. First, about the actual bearings. I have the manual and the original bearings appear to have been from New Departure. I found a guy selling both the front and rear bearings from New Departure on eBay and they are advertised as factory new, but they are clearly old stock. Do bearings go bad, or would "old" new bearings be ok?

The second question is about the nose bearing. It is really stuck on the spindle and I'm not sure how to get it off safely. It looks as there may be some form of loctite on it, but I can't tell for sure. The bearing is rubber sealed, so I don't want to heat it as the seal will melt and make a mess of things. The spindle is too long to use a bearing puller. Any suggestions on how to remove it? The bearings in the machine do not appear to be original and I don't know their origin or history, which is why I want to replace them.

Thanks,
Dave

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
If the machine works well as is leave them be, when it stops working well and the bearings are the problem replace them at that time.

daveog

Registered
I get that, but I have not run the machine yet. I did a quick test cut at the previous owner's auto shop before I purchased it, but he had no idea how to use the machine and his tooling was not setup correctly at all so a thorough test wasn't practical. I had to disassemble the machine to move it into my basement, so I figured that would be a good opportunity to completely tear it down, clean it, replace any broken gears or parts, and adjust it properly. So I'd like to just go ahead and replace them now while it's already apart instead of reassembling it only to find a problem and have to tear it all down again.

Chuck K

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
The front bearing will have to be pressed off the spindle. If it does in fact have loctite on it, you may have to heat it also.

daveog

Registered
That’s what I was thinking. Is there a good way to press it off?

eeler1

Dang, buggered that up too!!
Can't help on the removal, although there are several videos on YouTube that address that issue. But, wondering where you found a current supply of New Departure bearings?

daveog

Registered
I just did a search on eBay.

daveog

Registered
Here are some photos of the spindle. Is the wear on the outside of the spindle what one would expect to see or is it excessive? You can definitely feel the grooves worn in the metal with you finger. You can also see that pesky bearing on the nose end.

IMG_1085.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1087.jpg

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
The New Departure bearings are no longer available, so any unused bearings will be NOS. As long as they aren't corroded
and haven't been used they should be OK. If they're shielded on one side, you could always clean the old grease out and re- grease if you wanted.

You also might consider cleaning and repacking the existing bearing in place, rather than removing it. Worth a try, and if it doesn't work out you aren't out any thing.

Before you buy NOS bearings off ebay, give Logan a call and see what they have for new bearings and what they cost.
I relaced the bearings on my 10" lathe with parts sourced from Logan.

If you decide to replace the big bearing, just press it off. It won't matter if you damage it if it's being replaced.

daveog

Registered
Thanks for the info. The current bearings are shielded, so cleaning is not an option. I got a quote from Scott and the set of bearings from him would be almost $200. The NOS on eBay could be had for less than $50.

I used a contraption made from a threaded rod, some PVC, and a couple of boards to remove the bull gear on an old Southbend lathe I used to have. I wonder if that would be a doable solution for this bearing. Or would a shop press be easier? I'd just have to buy one.

Nogoingback

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
On my 10" lathe, the bearing was secured with a nut, so pressing it off was fairly easy. It looks like yours may need a bit more horsepower to get it moving. I'd soak it in Kroil or something like it first. If you don't want to buy a press, you could probably get a machine shop to press the bearings off/on for you.

royesses

A bearing separator and press are the best way to pull the bearing. Also a bearing separator kit would work or something you make from available materials. Something like the illustration. This is from a Harbor Freight #93980 bearing Puller/Separator kit. The shaft end needs to be protected by a piece of steel so it is not mushroomed.
1534964028188.png

A press to push the new bearing on using a tube that fits over the shaft and is no larger in diameter than the inner race. This is how I replaced the spindle bearings on my mini lathe. Protecting the threads on the ends is most important if using a tube to hammer the new bearing on.

Roy

daveog

Registered
Hi Roy,

That separator kit in particular won't work because the spindle is too long for it's reach. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap shop press. I can get a 12 ton from HF for like $104. It would be cheaper to make something, but time is money. Plus, I can get a piece of PVC pipe and use the press to press the new bearing on as well.

I'm still not sure what to do as far as new bearings go. The eBay ones are supposedly new in the box and far cheaper than getting them from Scott, but I'm sure Scott's will be much more recent new.

royesses

Hi Roy,

That separator kit in particular won't work because the spindle is too long for it's reach. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap shop press. I can get a 12 ton from HF for like $104. It would be cheaper to make something, but time is money. Plus, I can get a piece of PVC pipe and use the press to press the new bearing on as well.

I'm still not sure what to do as far as new bearings go. The eBay ones are supposedly new in the box and far cheaper than getting them from Scott, but I'm sure Scott's will be much more recent new.
Dave,

The kit has extensions to make a longer reach, but it may still be too short so I understand. I have the 12 ton HF press and use it for most bearing replacements. It should do the job for you. Harbor Freight printable coupons page:
http://www.hfqpdb.com/

I have purchased new old stock bearings on Ebay and had great luck with them. But grease does have a shelf life and if you are worried about that new bearings might be the way to go.

Roy

daveog

Registered
Roy,

Thanks for sharing that information about your press. I was debating between the 12-ton and 20-ton, but I think the 12-ton would be more than sufficient and you have confirmed that. Thanks for the link to the coupons as well.

I'm still up in the air about the bearings. It's a significant price difference. I asked the seller for more information but haven't heard back yet. I'm tempted to just get them and if they work, I save $150; if not, well I tried.

Dave

royesses

Dave,

For $150 less I would be willing to gamble on the new old stock. Even if the grease is dried up. You can pry the seals off and clean out the old grease and re-grease them and still be money ahead. Push the seals back on and you are good to go. As long as they are not rusted they would give new machine performance.

Roy

GrayTech

Registered
I use some threaded bar to extend my bearing puller when needed. Works fine.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Wv109323

Registered
The bearing should have a number on it. Have you tried to cross reference it? Just because one company quits making a bearing ,(New Departure) that does not mean a direct replacement is not available from another bearing company. Some designers use a priority design and have a confidential agreement with that bearing company so the lathe company will be the sole source. Think $$$. Or a company will not use a single source bearing to insure that if the first bearing company discontinues or has no availibility that bearing it can be obtained from a second source.

[6]
[5] [7]