Logan 11" lathe spindle bearings

On my 10" lathe, the bearing was secured with a nut, so pressing it off was fairly easy. It looks like yours may need a bit more horsepower to get it moving. I'd soak it in Kroil or something like it first. If you don't want to buy a press, you could probably get a machine shop to press the bearings off/on for you.

A bearing separator and press are the best way to pull the bearing. Also a bearing separator kit would work or something you make from available materials. Something like the illustration. This is from a Harbor Freight #93980 bearing Puller/Separator kit. The shaft end needs to be protected by a piece of steel so it is not mushroomed.
1534964028188.png

A press to push the new bearing on using a tube that fits over the shaft and is no larger in diameter than the inner race. This is how I replaced the spindle bearings on my mini lathe. Protecting the threads on the ends is most important if using a tube to hammer the new bearing on.

Roy

Hi Roy,

That separator kit in particular won't work because the spindle is too long for it's reach. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap shop press. I can get a 12 ton from HF for like $104. It would be cheaper to make something, but time is money. Plus, I can get a piece of PVC pipe and use the press to press the new bearing on as well.

I'm still not sure what to do as far as new bearings go. The eBay ones are supposedly new in the box and far cheaper than getting them from Scott, but I'm sure Scott's will be much more recent new.

Hi Roy,

That separator kit in particular won't work because the spindle is too long for it's reach. I think I'm just going to buy a cheap shop press. I can get a 12 ton from HF for like $104. It would be cheaper to make something, but time is money. Plus, I can get a piece of PVC pipe and use the press to press the new bearing on as well.

I'm still not sure what to do as far as new bearings go. The eBay ones are supposedly new in the box and far cheaper than getting them from Scott, but I'm sure Scott's will be much more recent new.
Dave,

The kit has extensions to make a longer reach, but it may still be too short so I understand. I have the 12 ton HF press and use it for most bearing replacements. It should do the job for you. Harbor Freight printable coupons page:
http://www.hfqpdb.com/

I have purchased new old stock bearings on Ebay and had great luck with them. But grease does have a shelf life and if you are worried about that new bearings might be the way to go.

Roy

Roy,

Thanks for sharing that information about your press. I was debating between the 12-ton and 20-ton, but I think the 12-ton would be more than sufficient and you have confirmed that. Thanks for the link to the coupons as well.

I'm still up in the air about the bearings. It's a significant price difference. I asked the seller for more information but haven't heard back yet. I'm tempted to just get them and if they work, I save $150; if not, well I tried.

Dave

Dave,

For $150 less I would be willing to gamble on the new old stock. Even if the grease is dried up. You can pry the seals off and clean out the old grease and re-grease them and still be money ahead. Push the seals back on and you are good to go. As long as they are not rusted they would give new machine performance.

Roy

I use some threaded bar to extend my bearing puller when needed. Works fine.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

The bearing should have a number on it. Have you tried to cross reference it? Just because one company quits making a bearing ,(New Departure) that does not mean a direct replacement is not available from another bearing company. Some designers use a priority design and have a confidential agreement with that bearing company so the lathe company will be the sole source. Think $$$. Or a company will not use a single source bearing to insure that if the first bearing company discontinues or has no availibility that bearing it can be obtained from a second source.

Back