Logan 14" lathe owners

I went with a BXA as well and it was a touch too short. I tried a 1/4" spacer under it and that let the boring bar holder work - which would not otherwise. Decided to try a 1/2" spacer to bring it up a little more so hopefully my smaller tools won't require shims. I have a feeling I'm going to settle on ~3/8". Thankfully there is plenty adjustment to work with.

Hi guys, I am still confused here. Are BXA models a little short because of using smaller tools? It looks like the 14s are kinda in an in between size for these holder sizes. I am trying to make a good decision here myself. Thanks.

For boring bars, take a glance at Joe Pie's video.
I think it will take care of all your boring needs.

What size QCTP did you go with.

I put a BXA size on my 6560. This is what is suggested by Scott and on the shars website. I went with this over the CXA do to cost for one. Well I am able to get all my tools on center except my Chinese 16mm insert boring Bar. Even shimming it up to the top of the holder wont get it high enough to reach center. I also have some smaller bars which I think I should be able to shim and I have a 20mm. The 20 will go in the boring bar tool holder but looks like it my not work also. Have not tried it yet because the holder is bored 1" and came with a 3/4 adapter. I need to make a couple new adapters.

Anyone with similar experience? I will make it work one way or another.

Cheers,
Mike

I found the BXA to be short for even 5/8" shank tools. I placed a 1/2" thick block between the compound and the BXA post. Now I can comfortably use both 5/8" tools as well as 1/2" and 3/8". No issues with any boring bars using the standard holder.

At this point, no regrets. though I do need to make a slightly longer stud. It's been working but I don't have full nut engagement with the spacer.

Hi guys, I am still confused here. Are BXA models a little short because of using smaller tools? It looks like the 14s are kinda in an in between size for these holder sizes. I am trying to make a good decision here myself. Thanks.

I went with the BXA. I is a touch short. I added a 1/4 thick cast iron riser. I've been happy with it.

CXA size tooling is perfect for the 14” Takisawa TSL lathe. I would choose the largest size that would fit a particular lathe for rigidity and use of larger lathe tools. Shopping around a bit will minimize price differences. I got a Banggood quote for 20 CXA holders for $15 each. I bought a couple to check them, and in my opinion, compared to my Aloris holders, they were at least as good, perhaps better - they are a bit longer for better tool holder leverage.

Back