Logan 1815 resto

The power feed, given that it works when holding the lever it, can probably be just a slipping clutch. There are a couple of jam nuts holding the lever on...tighten them until the feed works under some load. That might fix the problem.
Thanks for the info, I took the whole apron apart mostly to clean ,I found the main bolt was bent a little, I was able to straighten it don’t think that was problem, I think it was what you said, I won’t know till I put it back together and I can adjust nut. It was dirty as hell inside too!!

Welcome to the Logan crowd here. I have an 820 from 1943. Logans are great machines. I'll second the suggestion above about joining the Logan forum led by Scott Logan.
My biggest issue, other than my own perhaps shrinking ignorance as a non-machinist/non-engineer inflicting his naiveté on an old machine that has its own preferred way of doing things, is that there is far too little available real estate upon which to mount an indicator base. The cross-slide cover is attractively sloping (I can't imagine why Logan did that except to look less sharply angled) but that cover is just too variably sloped to mount a Noga. On my lathe, also, the paint everywhere that is not horizontal is chipped and layered and won't hold a Noga. The fact that its top spindle speed is around 1400rpm is not a problem for me most of the time, since most of the work for which I got the lathe is in small diameters and soft materials and turns well with HSS. There are other issues as well, but I'm not yet sufficiently convinced that their roots aren't in operator error to list them here. I've learned from Mikey's incredible work here how to grind my own HSS tools, and they work far better at the 820's lower speeds than carbide. Feel free to let me know if I can be of any help!

Tim

Welcome to the Logan crowd here. I have an 820 from 1943. Logans are great machines. I'll second the suggestion above about joining the Logan forum led by Scott Logan.
My biggest issue, other than my own perhaps shrinking ignorance as a non-machinist/non-engineer inflicting his naiveté on an old machine that has its own preferred way of doing things, is that there is far too little available real estate upon which to mount an indicator base. The cross-slide cover is attractively sloping (I can't imagine why Logan did that except to look less sharply angled) but that cover is just too variably sloped to mount a Noga. On my lathe, also, the paint everywhere that is not horizontal is chipped and layered and won't hold a Noga. The fact that its top spindle speed is around 1400rpm is not a problem for me most of the time, since most of the work for which I got the lathe is in small diameters and soft materials and turns well with HSS. There are other issues as well, but I'm not yet sufficiently convinced that their roots aren't in operator error to list them here. I've learned from Mikey's incredible work here how to grind my own HSS tools, and they work far better at the 820's lower speeds than carbide. Feel free to let me know if I can be of any help!

Tim
Hey Tim thanks for taking a look,let me state I’m new to this I wasn’t sure what a noga was so I looked it up and the first one I clicked on was on Amazon and the picture in ad shows a magnetic one mounted on a curved face of a mill, idk if that would work for you being our cross slide has that attractive curve. It looks like a nice attachment. I see your from NY so am I, I’m upstate
Bill

Another way to deal with mounting indicators is to mount them onto the QCTP rather than a Noga. Quick and easy...

FYI by '61 all the Logans were equipped with vee belts, listed as a 1820, but I have no idea if Logan changed the data plate. The exact date, early 50s ??, is on the Logan Lathe.com site. Both my 820s pre- date the change over. Consider joing the group.io Logan board as an additional information source. Scott Logan, grandson of the lathe maker, moderates the board and will often answer questions not answered elsewhere.

Ron

No need to join any more forums to get this info. Scott Logan is a great guy and will respond to all e-mails sent through his website. He has answered all of my technical and machine questions I posed to him. I highly recommend contacting him directly with all your needs.

Thanks Randy I agree I joined the Logan group and Scott did respond to my message turns out I actually have a 1815 which it does say on the name plate. I thought people were just shortening it to 815 or 820 not realizing after they changed to v belt they started the 1800 which mine does have the v belt. I also typed the wrong serial number by accident, Scott was like something isn’t right with your numbers after I got it all right he got back and said it all checked out and gave me the exact manufacture date 6/14/60 which I thought was totally cool!!

. . . well good to know that’s not a bearing and just a shield not sure if I’m gonna take apart the spindle but I would like to clean it all out I’m gonna have to go through parts list and see if there is a spacer or something missing, ' ' '
I’ll see after I give it a good cleaning I will check that bearing as well Thanks again for the info I’m sure there will be more questions lol
10" only. "Most" of the bearings were open on the bed side and shielded on the side by the bull gear. The bed side shield can be hard to remove without damage, my 1st 820 has one beat to absolute crap from someone's ham handed whatever they were doing, and, I was told, haven't looked, Scott doesn't stock them. I got the one I have set aside off eBay. So research on what others have done. IIRC no spacers. There is a nut and Belleview washers but they aren't used for the traditional "pre-load" on the inner beariong race because on the 10" it's a double-row. The parts diagram is split into two parts and can be confusing! Take pictures at every stage. If you decide to pull the bearings to clean them, I know one tool/"How-to" is posted at the Logan group, I suspect there are here too. Lots of ideas on cleaning, I'm partial to a thrift store crock pot and a minimum of daily checks to be sure it doesn't go dry.

Scott was like something isn’t right with your numbers after I got it all right he got back and said it all checked out and gave me the exact manufacture date 6/14/60 which I thought was totally cool!!
His database is pretty fascinating, and getting more complete all the time. I learned my 820's complete history from him; I'm probably the 4th owner going back to late 1943.
Tim

Hey everyone figured I post some pictures almost done, the usps is killing me still waiting on the oils I ordered, they should be here by the 12th.I decided to not paint it for now, to do a full restore is more then I’m looking to take on right now. I wanna get the spindle back in so I Can Learn how to use this thing lol. I’m dying to start making stuff already!!!

Attachments

• CB4742BE-99ED-4A43-B275-0157EDCB476B.jpeg
    CB4742BE-99ED-4A43-B275-0157EDCB476B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 369B0857-3877-40E5-ADF8-3D6437E1785F.jpeg
    369B0857-3877-40E5-ADF8-3D6437E1785F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 2EC6C3F2-3CF5-4251-8791-ADC3A1C89BCA.jpeg
    2EC6C3F2-3CF5-4251-8791-ADC3A1C89BCA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 10
  • FBD0C213-B299-4FCC-87FC-EF93EDE5E85E.jpeg
    FBD0C213-B299-4FCC-87FC-EF93EDE5E85E.jpeg