Logan 200 bearings and gears

PlasmaOnTheBrain

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,
I just had a Logan 200 follow me home. Its my first real lathe, and in the process of cleaning it I discovered the spindle bearings are shot and the bull gear and one of the gears to switch into the "back gear" are missing a tooth.
How bad off am I? Are these parts available and whats the ball park for how much I'm in for?
The things in fairly good shape otherwise. I got a good handful of gears (doubt its all of them), a face plate, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, and a nifty vice that fits in the tool post holder. Looks like its meant to turn the lathe into a small horizontal mill. 20200117_200302.jpg
The lathe
20200201_155341.jpg
And the 2 missing teeth...

Thank you all for any input!
-Clif

Logan parts are plentiful in Ebay. Scott Logan still sells parts for the machines also if you want new parts. Did you get the motor assembly and tail stock with it?

Yes I have the tail stock, motor, tray and stand. They are awaiting cleaning as are the other chucks and what not.
I have to re-wire the motor to the switch because the original owner cut it to facilitate moving. It seems like its a 5 position switch; Off, forward 1, forward 2, reverse 1, reverse 2.
From looking up the serial number this thing looks to be from late 42. I have very little idea what is original, but the chuck( or at least the adapter holding it on) is not original.

Spindle bearings are available from Logan for the Model 200. I replaced mine in 2016: the large bearing at the
chuck end is special and not available elsewhere. I payed $211.00 for it. The smaller bearing on the gear train end
could probably be purchased from a bearing supply house at lower cost than from Logan. Logan has a suprising number of parts available, though not everything. Since you'll need to pull the spindle to change the bearings, it would be a good idea to relace the flat belt at the same time.
Ebay would be the place to look for a bull gear and and back gear assembly.

Looks like the spring is missing from the back gear latch. The hose clamp is probably holding the latch open. In that position the back gears should be engaged.

I also noticed in the pic of the missing teeth that there's a hose clamp on the back gear handle. The bottom of the rod
has an assembly which latches the lathe in back gear. It may be that the spring which acts on the latch is missing.
Logan carries the parts if you need them.

EDIT: Looks like you beat me to it Chuck! :)

I also noticed in the pic of the missing teeth that there's a hose clamp on the back gear handle. The bottom of the rod
has an assembly which latches the lathe in back gear. It may be that the spring which acts on the latch is missing.
Logan carries the parts if you need them.

EDIT: Looks like you beat me to it Chuck! :)
LOL...just noticed that.

Also yes on the hose clamp, the back gear lever is missing a spring. It was less on the list due to the missing teeth and crunchy bearings.
The $200 bit for the front bearing was the biggest part I was wondering/worried about.
I'm willing and likely to try rebuilding the gear teeth just to see if I can do it. I'll feel better about trying if new gears are available but im going to try it either way...

The original bearing was made by New Departure and is no longer produced. What makes these bearings different is that they are pre-loaded
internally so that no adjustment is required (or possible) once installed in the lathe. Notice the snap ring around the circumference: that
locates the bearing and is secured by the cover plate on the chuck side of the headstock. The smaller bearing just supports the other
end of the spindle and has no preload pressure on it. Some folks have tried to source replacement bearings which are the right size,
but they lack the internal pre-load of the original. So, it's an expensive bearing from Logan, but hey, good spindle bearings are kind
of important on a lathe... :)

IMG_0943.jpg

That was what I was afraid of but at the same time accepting of. I dont mind throwing a bit of money and effort at this thing to get it running good. I doubt I could get as much lathe for $1000 now a days anyways. ( I have $500 into it and if I hit $1000 I'll still feel OK about it)

Back