Logan 200 collet closer

Dinwoodie Cutlery Concepts

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone I have a 40’s era Logan 200 that came with some 3at collets and a closer, It looks like the closer has been bastardized by someone and I’m not quite sure how to reassemble it or if there are parts missing, I have had zero luck searching for info and was wondering if anyone had some insight on it. The closer and the collets say Precision on them with no other markings other than the collet sizes. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have a Logan 210 from 1947. Here is a layout of the components, the steel cone second from left is inserted on the draw tube for all but the last step. You insert the draw tube and cone in the back of the head stock, then place the MT to 3at adapter in the front. you can then screw in your collets to the head stock and run your parts. The only time you remove the aforementioned cone is to liberate the MT section from the spindle. With the collets removed, ram the draw tube alone down the spindle bore to dislodge the adapter from the tape.
20200318_092644.jpg

I think 'Precision' is an old brand name. Pictures of what you are having trouble with would help.

Alexander nailed most of the layout. That little piece at the end of the tube is a spacer to get it all the right length so you can . But you should use a spindle thread protector to cover the threads. Keeps you from accidentally buggering up your spindle threads. Accidents do happen.

If it's basic 'how to use' you are looking for, then youtube should have plenty for you to absorb.

Thanks guys! It’s not a drawbar type but a lever type closer. I thought about just scrapping the lever mechanism and making it a straight drawbar but I’d would like some more info on it if possible first. I’ll try to take some pics tonight and post them.

There are two basic collet closer types, those with a drawbar and those with a draw tube. The draw bar is solid and AFAIK only works with MT and R8 collets. The draw tube type may be just like the draw bar only it uses a hollow tube. Or may be more complicated and uses a lever operated assembly mounted on the left end of the headstock to pull on the draw tube to close and open the 3AT (and a lot of similar types) collets. In addition to the closer (both types), one other part called a collet closer adapter is common to all types. Externally, this has a (in your case) stub 3MT taper and a larger diameter shoulder of flange used for removing the adapter from the spindle. The ID is a close fit to the OD of whatever type collet it is made for, and should have an internal key to keep the collet from trying to spin inside the closer. This part will fit any make machine with the right spindle nose taper.

Downloads under Atlas has the parts and operating instructions for two or three either made by Atlas or made by Royal for Atlas lever operated closers. I knew that Precision (and a lot of others) made 3AT and several other type collets but I didn't know that they also made a closer. To install all of the ones for Atlas, you removed the threaded collar that sets the spindle bearing preload and screw the closer assembly on in its place. Other makes may have had a longer spindle. But in any case, compare what you have to the exploded view parts list drawings of the Atlas ones and you may be able to figure out what's missing from yours.

Or post photos of what you have.

Include a photo of the threaded left end of the spindle.

That looks a lot like an Atlas 900B for their 10" and the early Craftsman 12". I never knew who actually made it.

Well, fwiw, the 900B operating instructions and parts list is in Downloads.

Last edited:
Back