Logan 200 motor pulley question

Those pulleys do show up on eBay from time to time, but they often are overpriced. You might consider getting a chunk of aluminum and making your own.

Thank you all. I might just get a chunk of aluminum and make it. Would be good practice!

It would be good practice! I've got a pulley here for mine, but my late came with just a standard 2 1/2" pulley on the motor shaft, as it has a 3/4 HP motor, which has a larger shaft than a 1/2 HP does. It works just fine the way it is for most things, having only the four speeds available by changing the position of the flat belt. I must admit, however, that more speeds would be wonderful. I've been seriously considering a new 3 phase motor and a VFD for both my mill and for my lathe. All it takes is time and money, both of which have been in short supply lately!

Well...not to disappoint but I did find one and bought it! So no making one but also now I know I am spinning the correct speed when I decide to learn thread cutting. I guess I could have slapped on any old pulley and figured it out but I'm glad the chart on my machine is relevant now. Thanks all for the help.

Well...not to disappoint but I did find one and bought it! So no making one but also now I know I am spinning the correct speed when I decide to learn thread cutting. I guess I could have slapped on any old pulley and figured it out but I'm glad the chart on my machine is relevant now. Thanks all for the help.
The motor speed (Pulley size) would not change the threading. It's the spindle speed relative to the speed of the feed.
Few times I threaded, I threaded in back gear.

That makes sense! I have all of the change gears and should have known that! Oh well...the old beast is getting closer to 1940's original.

Threading on a manual lathe is almost never done at anywhere near the recommended speed for turning on the material that you are threading. Because of both human reaction time and the fact that if the spindle RPM is anything greater than a crawl, the spindle will not stop immediately when you turn off the motor.

Back