Logan 2500 series maybe

Headrc

Registered
Registered
Although I have not even started making chips with my Atlas 9 inch lathe here, thanks to all the great information here I have started to think that I may want a bigger lathe with quick change gear box. And now I have found a Logan which I believe is a 2500 series although the guy selling it does not seem to know much about it. So my question is what are the main things/quirks besides the usual ways examination etc. to watch out for on this lathe? He claims the start capacitor on the motor is bad and says it is a 5 HP 220 single phase. That sounds like a lot higher hp than normally found on these lathes. While I can transport this lathe, it might be a challenge putting it where my existing lathe is. How hard is it to tear down and put back together just for transport. Also, I do have an older heavy duty 1 HP 110 volt motor. Would it be applicable to just replace the motor with it if the motor is really bad? The lathe has variable speed, so what requirements would a motor need to have to work with that. Thanks in advance ...this site is such a wealth of information. Richard

According to a catalog entry on the 2500, the recommended motor is a 1 HP 3-phase. So 5 HP is definitely too much. It significantly increases the risk of breaking something. Plus it will weigh a lot more and cost more to run.

Yes, I really think the owner is mistaken on the motor. I have searched for a thread where someone has broken these machines down for either reconditioning or just plain moving them snd have not found one. I finally got some more pictures and it is definitely a 2555 VL that looks to be in OK condition. Not pristine but not covered with rust etc. It looks like the shorter 24 inch version of this too. No tooling that I can see and no steady rest that I can see. Anyone here wish to give a value on a lathe like this?

I'd pay 2k for a good one, but with a steady rest. Not sure about pricing in your area
M

Thanks ...yes I do not know in my area as well which is why I ask. I do know there is a problem with the motor. The owner says it needs a start capacitor ....but he also says it is a 5 HP motor which I find hard to believe on this size lathe.

Back