Logan 2555V

sailor1845

Registered
Registered
Hello All,
I am new to this group, so please excuse any errors.

I have recently acquired a Logan 2555V lathe. I know it is not as old as the Lathes I have seen on here, but am hoping someone has some knowledge of the 2555V.
This lathe was not very pretty when it arrived. There were many coats of paint and most were peeling. The motor was a three phase motor and it was toasted. I replaced that motor with a 220V 2 HP AO smith motor and replaced all the wiring. Next was the ways, they were coated in oil and grease. Next came changing the oil in the gear box. I could not find the recommended oil Keystone 122-7X. I used STP 30 Weight non-detergent oil. I was not sure how much to use in the headstock, so I filled the headstock about 1/4 full. The lubricating instructions say "Fill the built in well in the headstock with it".

The carriage was another job and that is still not complete. I drained the apron which was not a pretty sight. There are two bolts to be removed To add oil. When i added the oil oil was dripping from the rear of the apron onto the lead screw. I have not figured out what that is all about yet.

I can't seem to download photos from my computer?

If anyone has experience with this lathe I would greatly appreciate the input.

L1010327.JPGL1010328.JPGL1010344.JPGL1010393.JPG

Thanks
sailor1845

Nice, that's a great looking machine now. I like Logans. (don't have one, but I still like them)

-frank

I replaced the original motor (3 phase 240 volts 1 HP) with a single phase 220 volt 2 HP A.O. Smith motor. Instead of the drum switch I opted for two separate motor starting 30 amp switches. One controls direction and the other starts the motor.

Back