[Newbie] Logan 2557 finish issues

Like I said, I don't know anything about the larger Logans, but I know that various options for the smaller machines have been discussed many times. I have never seen a post where someone successfully converted a Logan to
adjustable bearings.

I have a suggestion, which is to determine if you actually have a problem with the spindle bearings. I admit that the play you're able to induce seems excessive but I suggest two things:
  • With the lathe cold and a chuck mounted, spin the chuck as hard as you can and count the revolutions it makes. If the chuck makes more than 1 to 1-1/2 revolutions, that suggests the spindle preload is too loose. Don't think this is some back yard test; Emco of Austria sets their spindle preload exactly like this and my Super 11 has zero end play.
  • Check the actual spindle run out. If the bearings are shot then the run out will be way out, like greater than 0.0002" TIR or more. If your cold check in bullet number one is okay and the spindle run out is less than 0.0002" then it may be that your chatter has another cause, of which there are MANY.

It's possible once your bearings are out and you have the numbers off them, you'll be able to buy them from a bearing house for less than Logan's price.

Well, we pulled the spindle and there is excessive play in the the nose side bearings. I called and ordered the direct replacements from Scott at Logan actuator for a princely sum. The bearings that were in it were SKF 6013-2Z shielded one side. These were not original and my not have been factory spec with preload. Initial hunting for an angular contact type replacement with the right preload turned out that the Logan prices are fair. He was also quite helpful in pointing out other areas on the the machine that can be issues. The more I dig on this lathe the more I’m finding neglect in maintenance, but we’ll cradle her back to top order. Thanks for all the help guys, Tim

Be sure and keep us up to date on how it goes. (And we REALLY like pictures). It would be interesting to know what Scott told you about issues with those machines.

It's possible once your bearings are out and you have the numbers off them, you'll be able to buy them from a bearing house for less than Logan's price.

The problem with Logans is that frequently, the bearing supply places can't come up with a replacement part.
On mine, (10" machine). the chuck-side bearing has no off the shelf equivalent.

Back