Logan 400. Headstock. (Total Logan 400 Rebuild)

Ha!

Sounds like the same old story. My working lathe is so old and loose that hitting targets takes extreme patience, and unfortunately, LUCK. The dials are virtually useless. I eek my way along, tiny cut after tiny cut, working toward a fit, reach the point where I say, "ah... just one more", and bam... too much!

I empathize.

Re: Logan 400. Headstock.-Steady rests

I was looking at the Logan steady rest on ebay. Something does not seem right. He shows a scale next to it which seems to show the mount surface to center to be around 6". It also shows the center top guide biased way down. I believe for a true 9" that distance would be 4.5". I have a feeling this is from a 10" or 11" that was adapted.

I have seen other 9" units and they always seem to look really short at the mount. I have asked for clarification on that dim as something seems off with the picture.

Hard to tell with the follower rest. Same seller.

Matthew

I have a Logan model 200.It came with a home-made steady rest made from 1.4" plate.
I've since acquired a steady rest from a South Bend 9" lathe. It WILL fit the ways of my Logan, EXCEPT that it is 1/2" too low. It could be use that way, with some loss of capacity.I plan on making a 1/2" thick spacer to go underneath the South Bend steady rest. That will involve machining two "V" slots for the V-way on opposite sides of the spacer. I'll post pictures in a separate thread when I get it done.
Rick W

Time for an update even though i have not yet solved the problem.

So i believe the fundamental problem is that my shafts are double tapered. Meaning they are smaller on the ends then the center by at least .001". That is causing the rock. My plan right now is to touch up the shafts so they are consistent in diameter but of course undersized. Then bore new bushing undersize. That will work fine as i am taking off about .02 on the ID of the bushing anyways. Likely will not get to that till some time in late June as i am traveling for work.

:whiteflag:
As for steady rest. I have located a Atlas 9" x 54" lathe that is complete with tooling, chucks, follower rest & steady rest. Has a QCGB already as well. I am done with this Logan. Going to put it up on Craigslist for free this weekend and switch to Atlas. Just tired of the fight.
:whiteflag:

:roflmao:
I crack myself up. I did locate a Atlas 9x54 that i will be getting a steady rest from so that search is over and my Logan is staying right where it is.

Matthew

Turned both apron shafts last week. Confirmed that they were not round nor the same diameter in the process. They are now true and about .005" smaller in diameter. I had to use a small parting tool to get into the part. Oh well. It worked. Also for the drive gear i had to clamp on the OD of the gear. Worked fine.

IMG_1284sm.jpg

I also have new bushings for the apron. Might get to it this week. Otherwise life is slowing this project down a bit and it will be mid June before i get back to it.

I also re-painted my Logan badge as well with a better shade of red. Will post next time.

IMG_1284sm.jpg

Hey;

Do you think the discrepancies in your shafts were from wear, or were they just not very good to begin with? I'm very interested in your etching project. I have seen it done before in other avocations. I'd love to have a new plate for my 200 resto.

Re-painted Acid Etched ID tags.

Original Logan 400 Tag repainted.
IMG_1298sm.jpg

Original 9B QCBG ID plate.
IMG_1299sm.jpg

Replacement QCBG ID plate that i made. Was not totally happy with paint job. It is better now and will be the one i use on the machine.
IMG_1300sm.jpg

Another attempt at a new ID plate. This one over-etched and became "blury". Not rolled yet. Very usable and actually a nice image transfer.
IMG_1301sm.jpg

Will i try another one???? Just no time right now. We will see. I feel like i have the process down. If i watch the acid etch process close maybe i can nail one 100%.

IMG_1298sm.jpg IMG_1299sm.jpg IMG_1300sm.jpg IMG_1301sm.jpg

New nuts, Od-de-apron and a side show.

Just returned from overseas. Good to be home.

My apron rebuild is going.... well lousy. I had to turn down my apron shafts about .005" to remove some taper. No big deal as the bushings I had installed needed at least .020" removed. OIK. Turn the shafts, put another new set of bushings in and re-bore them to the new size. bust.....

These bushings have a smaller OD so they did not press as much, The ID is too big. Man....... Going to have to make my own bushings. Was hoping to avoid that. So here she sits with no Apron still....

IMG_1422sm.jpg

Got my rebuilt half nuts while I was gone. Cool.

I am trying to figure out how these were made. I cannot see a glue line for the new brass and the finish is a but rough. Rougher than I had expected. After closer look I can not help but believe the new brass may have been casted into the original cast iron holder after the old thread was removed. Of course then re-tapped. Not sure if that would make sense but there are fine cracks and voids in the finish. Just when you machine a porous casting. Not sure I like that right now. Any thoughts???

IMG_1418sm.jpg

IMG_1419sm.jpg

Last a side project for the mill. I know, nothing to do with the logan but... A Phase II 6" rotary table. Unfortunately it was damaged in shipping so I have to replace a lock down tab and a knob. Oh well....

IMG_1420sm.jpg

IMG_1421sm.jpg

IMG_1418sm.jpg IMG_1419sm.jpg IMG_1420sm.jpg IMG_1421sm.jpg IMG_1422sm.jpg

Slow progress. Turning new bronze bushings for the apron. The OD is done. ID soon.

IMG_1547sm.jpg

In the meantime i was able to pick up a steady rest and a collet draw bar set. (collet adapter, collets and adapter release and wrench) Have to make a spacer for the draw bar but no big deal. Will post pictures when i can.

IMG_1547sm.jpg

Making slow progress. Both bushing for the apron hand wheel are turned to the right OD. One is turned to the right ID. One to go.

IMG_1589sm.jpg

IMG_1589sm.jpg

Almost have all the options I want for my lathe rounded up.

Here is my collet draw bar set-up. Needs a sleeve adapter still but otherwise complete minus one or two collet sizes. Have extras as well.
IMG_1590sm.jpg

An internal bore gripping set.

IMG_1591sm.jpg

9" steady rest. Missing the lock down nut but the a deal I could not pass up.

IMG_1592sm.jpg

I think the only two options I am still looking for but am not sure how important they are would be a follower rest and power cross slide.

If I could only get the apron back together now.....

IMG_1590sm.jpg IMG_1591sm.jpg IMG_1592sm.jpg

Back