Logan 400. Headstock. (Total Logan 400 Rebuild)

Robert,

Thank you.

I did try and un-braze the tube. Map gassed till it was cherry red but nothing budged. I can see the seam on the inside but no movement at all.

I agree with your assessment of the small end now that you mention holding stock in place. That makes sense. Weather it stays or goes is TBD. I really like things stock so likely...

Anyone know what that hand wheel would have original originally gone on? I do not think it was original Logan and it was reported to be from a South Bend.

Matthew

Matthew,

You're welcome. All that I can tell you is that it wasn't originally Atlas. They were all smaller in diameter and the only round one was slick, not knurled.

Robert D.

Ever get to a point in a project where you think it is just time to be done....

I am there.

I think aside from a few missing "nice to have" parts i am done with the restoration of my Model 400 lathe.

IMG_1752sm.jpg

I mounted the ID plates last night even though they are not as nice as i would like them to be.

Took the home made ID plate for the Quick Change Gear Box, mated it to the old one and drilled the mount holes.

IMG_1746sm.jpgIMG_1745sm.jpg

Mounted the Gear Chart on the inside of the cover even though i will no longer have to swap gears.

IMG_1747sm.jpg

These are the rivits i used. McMaster Carr. box of 100. Enought for this lathe and the next 8 i will restore. Not....

IMG_1748sm.jpg

All Mounted and looking pretty. Looks mighty nice.

IMG_1749sm.jpg

Got the lock handle for the tail stock mounted and got myself a dauber.

IMG_1751sm.jpg

Ok, not done because somehow in rebuilding the apron i lost the C clip for the pinion shaft and the nut for the handle. Still looking.....

IMG_1756sm.jpg

Living near the beach there is always moisture in the air so here my baby sits under cover waiting for the next project.

IMG_1758sm.jpg

To be technical, there are a few things that i still need to do but the lathe is now useable. My short list is:

- Locate a gear cover from a 9B. It is different and will cover the extended gears from the gear box. (Anyone have one???)
- Locate a power Apron/Saddle from a 9B. Should have bought the one with the gear box.... (Anyone have one???)
- Make a nut plate for the steady rest.
- Locate a proper wrench for the tail stock. One that is more vintage looking.
- Complete the 3C collet set for the draw bar.
- Shorten the draw bar or make a spacer.
- Find a proper follower rest. (Although i never see needing one it would just make it all there.)

Next post may be next week or next year on this one.

Thank you for reading.

Matthew

IMG_1756sm.jpg IMG_1752sm.jpg IMG_1749sm.jpg IMG_1746sm.jpg IMG_1751sm.jpg IMG_1745sm.jpg IMG_1758sm.jpg IMG_1747sm.jpg IMG_1748sm.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it certainly looks like you did a nice job. I was especially impressed with the dataplates.

Robert D.

Ok so I need some help. What would cause the half nut to not want to disengage???

Before I had the half nut rebuilt I used the lathe and had no issues engaging and disengaging the half nut. Of course it was also sloppy. Not so any more.

Gear box is set to a medium speed and I am trying to disengage the half nut while taking a cut. About .015" deep cut.

The nut sticks. Like it is being puled in and I have to pull it out. As soon as I get it opening it goes fine but I really have to pull hard to get it going. When it does open up it the whole cross slide jumps. It is really bad. Everything seams to be tight.

I did not try it with lighter cuts.

Is that how a new nut should behave? If yes then man.... Not very useful.

Please let me know what you all think.

Matthew

Matthew,

I don't currently have any guess as to what the problem is but I can answer your final question with "NO". A new half nut assembly should disengage as easily as a worn one. I have had my Atlas 3996 since new, and it was no harder to disengage when new than it is today.

You said that you had the half nuts "rebuilt", not replaced. Who rebuilt them? I would talk to him or them first.

Robert D.

A quick correction to post #65. (For some reason I cannot edit it any more)

There is only one lock nut as shown below. I state that there are two. My mistake.

IMG_2051sm.jpg

Also to be clear the Bellville washer orientation is that step is like this. <>.

Matthew

- - - Updated - - -

Robert,

They were rebuild by one of the guys over at the Practical Machinist site.

I think I am going to loosen all the bolts holding it in place up and re-set them while the nut is clamped on the shaft again to see If I just did not seat it right.

Will let you know what I find out.

Matthew

IMG_2051sm.jpg

I've found this thread very useful for repairing my Logan 400. Post #29 was a bit confusing:

The compound came apart by removing the collar that the dial sits against.
It is left hand thread. It has a hole for a pin to try and get it off but neither of mine were going anywhere. (There is one on the saddle as well) I had to vice grip it off with a rag to protect the parts. I ended up marking it a little but nothing bad. Once that was out the whole thing can be unscrewed from the nut. The nut is pressed into the housing.

I thought this meant the collar has left hand thread. For future reference, the collar has regular thread. Also the brass compound nut is, or should be, free (sliding), to allow it to be depressed to allow removal of the compound. A crude pin spanner, made from 3/8 bar stock and an old 1/8" drill, can be used to undo the collar.

Pin Spanner.jpg

But yeah, this collar was also on super tight.

I was wondering if you ordered the spindle bearings from Logan or if those bearings were sourced elsewhere.

I did order my bearings from Logan. I did the research, read all the arguments and in the end figured i wanted to do this once and Scott gives so much that i would get them from him and do it once.

As for the confusion.... At this point it is hard for me to confirm or deny that i wrote it wrong as i would have to take it back apart. No plans to do that till i locate a 9B saddle and apron to adapt to my 400. Almost 2 years looking so far..... Anyone know of one for sale?????

I will add one update. I was going to make a thread but i cannot post pictures for some reason. I have built a VFD for my Logan. Using a Baldor 2HP 3-phase motor. VFD is built and installed. The motor is ALOT longer than the stock motor so i am working out a way to reverse the motor on the jackshaft. Do-able but other projects are in the way right now.

Matthew

Hello, I recently acquired a Logan 400, unfortunately it did not come with the motor pulley. Can you tell me what size it is?
Thanks.
Thank you Redlineman.

Small update. Motor mount assembled. Motor is already mounted and i tested out how well the jackshaft spins. Alot quieter now that the shaft actually fits the bushings. I also realize that i will have to slide out the shaft to install the drive belt later on.

View attachment 72486

Also got the main bearing pressed on today and made new pivot pins for the cover.

View attachment 72486
ir

Back