Logan 400. Headstock. (Total Logan 400 Rebuild)

Hey;

Your tag looks a lot better than mine. Yes, the red is quite dark, but it looks better than old and crappy. I forgot about Evapo Rust. Works ok for most stuff. My 200 is a pretty early example, and both the cross and compound nuts are cast. I'd like to have the skill to make new ones... some day. I'd like to paint the hubs of my change gears a slightly contrasting color. A slightly lighter gray, perhaps. We'll see. There is enough of my lathe still apart that I'd be glad to measure things for you. It would be good to have some sort of a database on which parts are shared by various models, and there has been consistent if occasional talk of it elsewhere. Let me know.

If anyone had the Woodruff key from their tailstock quill handy for a measurement, I'd appreciate it. I manage to lose mine! :angry:

Think I'll go and see about starting to assemble the saddle. Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to scrape it in a little, but the other part says Git'r Dun!

What are the dimensions of the Keyway in the shaft? The Machinists Handbook has all the standard Woodruf keys listed in there. I'd be happy to look it up for you. Try to get the widtch and the depth of the pocket. An estimate of the length should help estimating as well.

What are the dimensions of the Keyway in the shaft? The Machinists Handbook has all the standard Woodruf keys listed in there. I'd be happy to look it up for you. Try to get the widtch and the depth of the pocket. An estimate of the length should help estimating as well.
Thanks;

I will PM you.

Quick update.

Stripped down the tail stock yesterday. A few surprises.

- There is a set-screw midway up the plunger that goes in and out. Could not, no matter what remove it from the outside. Had to drive it into the inside to remove it. Weird. Not sure why. Any insite there?

- The ACME screw would not come out of the plunger. Again no matter what I did it gets to the end of travel and stops. Could not see anything that would keep in in place. Any ideas?

Tried a little Navel jelly on the gear cover. Worked well. I think I will try that to get rid of the light rust and then prime the parts right away. Should be good enough. I hope the next update is either showing primer going on or bearings arriving.

Baby Seal Black is here and looking good. Almost an exact match.

IMG_0733sm.jpg

Painting the back side of a few parts and non-critical areas to see how it flows. Not a lot of time this next week so it may be a while before a lot of grey parts appear.

Will order replacement bushings tomorrow and start making a new jack shaft.

On another note I thought I had a lead on a logan Quick Change Gear Box with lead screw. Did not pan out. Oh well.

IMG_0733sm.jpg

More painting progress.
IMG_0737sm.jpg

IMG_0736sm.jpg

IMG_0739sm.jpg

Have replacement bushings for the jackshaft as well. Still waiting for bearings.

Amazing how different the color in these pictures look. The bed is the closest to real as far as color goes.

Paint is drying slow so i am taking my time. All of these are painted on the inside or opposite side only except the tail stock.

IMG_0736sm.jpg IMG_0737sm.jpg IMG_0739sm.jpg

Update on what i have been doing.

Painting.... Most of the parts are painted but taking a long time to dry. Not been able to get them into the sun at all so they are stuck in the garage.

Bearings have not shipped. They are waiting for the drive nails it arrive.

Rebuild my 3-jaw chuck. Basically took it apart, cleaned and re-lubricated it. Looks pretty now.

Looked into scraping my bed ways. Decided that was not going to happen so i took a flat file and cleaned up all of the surfaces. There were lots of dings on the non-used surfaces. I then did work on the surfaces that matter. They all cleaned up really well. Nice and flat and alot smoother. I am happy with the results.

IMG_0743sm.jpg

IMG_0748sm.jpg

Also spent some time polishing the handles.

Making progress although not as fast as i would like.....

IMG_0743sm.jpg IMG_0748sm.jpg

Got my pan painted yesterday so today I could not help but place a few parts together and see how it looks.

IMG_0752sm.jpg

Looking good to me.

Most of the parts are now painted. I have decided to paint all of my gear centers an accent color. Something lighter then the rest of it but not totally different. Will mix some lighter grey with this grey to get something I like.

Starting to put some parts back together. Wish I had made better notes or taken better pictures. I have the factory parts book with exploded view to help me and I had bagged all the parts with each assembly but it sure seems like I am missing something.

Going to be fun.

Oh ya. With my freshly filed ways the saddle and tail stock slide VERY NICE....

IMG_0752sm.jpg

Need some assistance.

- Anyone what bolts are used to mount the cast foot risers to the bed? I cannot locate them right now.

- Anyone have a head stock cover pivot pin they can measure for me? I found a picture on ebay of one. All I have are bolts. Looks like a shoulder bolt that has had the head turned down and slotted.

head stock pivot sm.jpg

Still waiting for my bearings..... Found a few more pieces to paint.

head stock pivot sm.jpg

I'lll be in my shop later today and can take some measurements. Hope you're not in a big hurry.

Steve

Back