Logan 400. Headstock. (Total Logan 400 Rebuild)

The bolts for the feet to bed are 3/8"-16 x 1 1/4" long.

Those hinge pins are special. You are correct with your description. It could probably be made from a bolt. The nut, which goes on the inside, is a 5/16"-18. I can't get close enough to measure the pin end diameter but it since you have the bracket off you can measure the diameter of the hole. I'm assuming that end is larger, maybe 3/8" or 7/16" to form the shoulder. You are correct that there is a slot in the end opposite the threads so the nut can be tightened.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Thank you Steve.

That is the info i need. The pivots should not be a big deal to make.

Matthew

Matt,

I am at about the same place you are on a 9B28-1. Everything so far looks identical. Following your rebuild with interest.

IMG_3755[1].JPG

Redlineman, I am in need of a spindle. You mentioned a spare headstock. Do you have a spindle for sale?

Rex B

IMG_3755[1].JPG

Rex;

I was previously not aware of this, but I can see by the pictures here that a 400 and 200 spindles are not the same, so mine would not work. I can see that the 400 spindle is splined, I assume to fix the drive gear on the end, where the 200 is keyed. It is possible that if all other parameters were the same, that a 200 spindle and drive gear/key might work, but I'm not sure.

If you wanted to do everyone in the Logan/MW community a good service, one of you fellows might like to do some measuring and documenting of the 400 spindle and do a drawing like I did (posted to my build thread). Or, if you provided the specs, I would be happy to do the drawing.

Rex,

Nice work. I am finding out that the 9B and 400 are very similar.

I had posted in another thread about my Crossfeed nut. Thought it was a 1/2-10 Left hand. Turns out it is a 7/16-10 left hand and they are quite difficult to locate. Found a finish tap on Ebay and am talking to www.tracyTools.com in the UK as they list it.

Of course i will have to balance this with buying one from Logan. I think they are ~$75.

More painting last night. Was able to mix the lighter grey to accent the gears and painted them all up. Have another batch of parts to clean up which is the plan for tonight.

Confirmed that my bearings are in the mail so a few more days and i can tackle the spindle.

Picked up some shoulder bolts to make new top cover pivots today and my replacement riser bolts.

Rex;

I was previously not aware of this, but I can see by the pictures here that a 400 and 200 spindles are not the same, so mine would not work. I can see that the 400 spindle is splined, I assume to fix the drive gear on the end, where the 200 is keyed. It is possible that if all other parameters were the same, that a 200 spindle and drive gear/key might work, but I'm not sure.

If you wanted to do everyone in the Logan/MW community a good service, one of you fellows might like to do some measuring and documenting of the 400 spindle and do a drawing like I did (posted to my build thread). Or, if you provided the specs, I would be happy to do the drawing.

i don't have 400, I have a 9B28-1. I think I can use a 400 spindle, not a 200

- - - Updated - - -

I considered painting gears a contrasting color. I want to see how yours look

Psssshhh...

Never even heard of that model. They have so many different models - with subtle little differences between them - it's almost farcical. Makes my head spin! You just know that these are parts bin machines, each borrowing from this or that "other model." There is just very little info on exactly WHAT is the same between them. We're working on that, a bit.

Small update.

Painted all my gears with the accent grey. This is a custom mix grey. I like how it looks. First picture without flash. Second with.

IMG_0804sm.jpg
IMG_0803sm.jpg

Made a new jack shaft. Turned out nice. Used 303SS and put flats where they should have been in the first place. Also installed new bushings in the holder.

IMG_0805sm.jpg

Last update is i polished up my aluminum pulleys. The two in the jack shaft and the one in the headstock. Not polished to a high shine but got most of the crud off and made them a little nicer. They are too beat up to try and go super shiny.
Headstock pulley below. The other two are getting some accent paint. Will post them later.

IMG_0806sm.jpg

Came up with a few questions i cannot locate the answer to. Anyone know:

• It looks like there is a taper adapter in my spindle that could be knocked out from the back. Afraid to just try to get it out for fear of damaging something. Does it come out?

• What is the purpose on the tail stock of the knob adjacent to the lock handle. (LB-263) Mine is missing but I have not “missed” it.

• There is a tapped hole in the side of the apron assembly. Will that accommodate a thread dial? Sure looks like it will.

• Does the tailstock screw come out of the tailstock spindle? I removed the set screw midway on the spindle but the screw will not back out. It stops dead.

• Is the 9B just and updated 400? Seems VERY similar but with the option of QCGB and Power crossfeed.

• How about 400 vs. 1400. Again they seem similar.

Matthew

IMG_0803sm.jpg IMG_0804sm.jpg IMG_0805sm.jpg IMG_0806sm.jpg

Not sure I can be a whole lot of help but........

If there is something "inside" your spindle, it should come out with a little persuasion. I believe there were some adapters for different tapers. My Logan is a little weird in that is has a straight 1" bore - no taper. Scott Logan said they did make some that way as customer requests.

On the tail stock, you are probably referring to the "dauber". There's no knob. It should just be a blind hole in the top of the tail stock. The dauber was just a piece of brass with a taper on the end that goes in the hole and a round knob on top. In the "old days" you would pour a little white lead in the hole and use the dauber to put a little dab on the tail stock center when turning between centers.

Yes, the tapped hole on the right hand side of the apron is for a thread dial.

The tail stock screw does come out. Have you removed the nut on the back (handle) end?

I can't help with the different model numbers other than what is shown here: http://www.lathe.com/models.htm

Steve

Back