Logan 6560

richz

Active User
Registered
Working 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week. The restoration is going slow on the logan. Question my first project is going to be a QCTP. What size carbide tool holders should I run?

Working 10 hours a day 6-7 days a week. The restoration is going slow on the logan. Question my first project is going to be a QCTP. What size carbide tool holders should I run?

The size of your carbide tool holders depends on the size of your QCTP. The bigger the tool post the bigger the holder.

Paul

Yes I know. I do not have any toolholders yet and was woundering what size ( 1/2 5/8 3/4 1 ) to use on a lathe of this size.

I use 5/8 in my CXA and 1/2 in my BXA if-n thats what you need to know.

Paul

I guess we could better help if we know what size your logan is. Mine is a 9" and the 1/2" shank tooling is about as much as it can handle. I got there by modifying a tool post from a different lathe. I got no tooling with mine so I've slowly been making what I need.

Old iron I am new to machining and never had any formal training. Sort of seat of your pants. What is CXA BXA?

Old iron I am new to machining and never had any formal training. Sort of seat of your pants. What is CXA BXA?
i think that means the size of your tool post and the size of tooling you can use, i use the axa and i have a 11 inch lathe the bxa is used on 12 i think and the cxa is used on bigger lathe, i think:biggrin:mac

The BXA on my 13" south bend was a little short so I went to the CXA. I have room now at the top and the bottom of the QCTP.

I have a BXA on my 10" Clausing and it is the right size for that. The tool holders I got from Jeff at Tools4Cheap are pretty good but the inserts ain't. He has a list on there that give the cross numbers so you can get better ones.

Paul

Back