Logan 6560LH Restoration

John1957

Registered
Registered
Good morning America
I am currently disassembling my new ally acquired logan 6560lh . Have back gear assembly,gear box, apron, removed, some things in apron don't look rite, worm gear severely worn and was difficult to remove.their was no key for shaft .shaft key aprox 3/16 but worm gear slot only 1/8".
not sure how clutch assembly functions, and how to identify how much wear is acceptable.
this is my first lathe rebuild . Any one out there familiar with this machine.

John1957

Machine1.jpg Machine2.jpg Machine3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not familiar with it, but always have thought I wanted one. Your looks pretty nice ... albeit upside down.

Yep, I recognized the problem right off.....all your parts are in upside down.:))

Not familiar with it, but always have thought I wanted one. Your looks pretty nice ... albeit upside down.

Yeah try working that way . Haven't figured out why they down load that way or how to correct it

Haven't figured out why it's happened, newby you know. I'm pretty happy to get ,be happier when it's opperational. Looking for specs on apron ,worm especially think wrong one installed

I have a 6561H which is basically the same thing. Yours appears to have the collet closer. Looking on the front of the Apron the Clutch Lever has 2 nuts on its shaft, the outer most nut is a jam nut, the inner nut adjusts the clutch pressure. Once you have it up and running you can adjust the clutch, but you need to engage the feed to see if you have done it right. I think the clutch would need to be extremely worn for you not to be able to adjust it to work. I'm not sure exactly what worm gear you are talking about, is it the worm on the cross feed screw for the power crossfeed or the main feed worm? Once I understand exactly what you need help with I'll be glad to help.

I have a 6561H which is basically the same thing. Yours appears to have the collet closer. Looking on the front of the Apron the Clutch Lever has 2 nuts on its shaft, the outer most nut is a jam nut, the inner nut adjusts the clutch pressure. Once you have it up and running you can adjust the clutch, but you need to engage the feed to see if you have done it right. I think the clutch would need to be extremely worn for you not to be able to adjust it to work. I'm not sure exactly what worm gear you are talking about, is it the worm on the cross feed screw for the power crossfeed or the main feed worm? Once I understand exactly what you need help with I'll be glad to help.

The part in question is worm on cross feed screw for power cross feed .it was difficult to remove from housing after bearing removed had to turn thread out. Key way is half the width as cross feed screw.their also seemed to be some kind of spacers that are not shown in parts catalog, along with a lot of metal frags. Is their any other sources for parts other logan act. Awful pricey

Back