Logan 6560LH Restoration

If the problem was just the mismatched key....you could easily remedy that by milling one side of the key to fit in the gear keyway. If your gears are trashed, that's a whole different situation. I'm sure there are guys on this forum that could make those parts...I'm not one of them. I have toyed around with making gears but in all honesty I haven't been real pleased with the finished product. The worm gear might actually be the easy part. You would need to broach the slot through it to mount the drive key. The other gear would be a problem for me. You might get lucky and find a job shop that isn't real busy and can do it for a decent price. It's still not going to be cheap. You might want to post under Machine Accessories and ask if someone knows of a used machine parts dealer. I remember seeing different posts in the past where people suggested some places to find used lathe parts. The only place that comes to mind for me is Lost Creek Machine. I know they sometimes part out machines. You can find them if you do a google search. Good Luck.

Chuck

If the problem was just the mismatched key....you could easily remedy that by milling one side of the key to fit in the gear keyway. If your gears are trashed, that's a whole different situation. I'm sure there are guys on this forum that could make those parts...I'm not one of them. I have toyed around with making gears but in all honesty I haven't been real pleased with the finished product. The worm gear might actually be the easy part. You would need to broach the slot through it to mount the drive key. The other gear would be a problem for me. You might get lucky and find a job shop that isn't real busy and can do it for a decent price. It's still not going to be cheap. You might want to post under Machine Accessories and ask if someone knows of a used machine parts dealer. I remember seeing different posts in the past where people suggested some places to find used lathe parts. The only place that comes to mind for me is Lost Creek Machine. I know they sometimes part out machines. You can find them if you do a google search. Good Luck.

Chuck
. The key is machined as part of worm ,it ingages into slot in power feed screw. On another forum a guy actually machined his own broached a slot for a key with a pressed fit ,several others same thing and they tig welded end of key to keep in place. Meeting local machine tomorrow see what they can do. Thanks. John

. The key is machined as part of worm ,it ingages into slot in power feed screw. On another forum a guy actually machined his own broached a slot for a key with a pressed fit ,several others same thing and they tig welded end of key to keep in place. Meeting local machine tomorrow see what they can do. Thanks. John
Good morning America. Went down to local machine shop after inspecting worm and worm gear recommended broaching existing worm and machining a key for compressed fit . His opinion the gear and worm would last my life time if oiled properly due to the fact of actual use for home use,not a machine shop opperation. He will broach the worm and fabricate key and assemble for 90.00. Prior to assembly I'm going to measure and create schematic to reproduce new parts, and maybe develop skill level to fabricate my owne also gives ability to possibly find new old stock.
at this point continue cleaning and dissasembly of gear box,bushings seem to have excessive wear.
a friend is going to lend me his 6" atlas,this will give ability to machine small parts such as bushing/ bearings. Moving forward. John

Good morning America hope all you in the cold country are doing well. Just warmed up here ,will be back on lathe tomorrow, waiting on parts,still have to disassemble gear box,does anyone know the maching specs for apron worm ,starts,pitch, angle, mine was not correct worm .
John

Good morning America hope all you in the cold country are doing well. Just warmed up here ,will be back on lathe tomorrow, waiting on parts,still have to disassemble gear box,does anyone know the maching specs for apron worm ,starts,pitch, angle, mine was not correct worm .
John

Well today did some more dissasembly and cleaning , once I cleaned up the half nut they to are severely worn,packed with chips , considering retapping ,shaft is 1 1/8 - 8 thread per inch acme thread, has any body done this before and is acme thread correct. Appreciate any direction you guys could give me. John

I don't know about the diameter of your leadscrew but it's an acme thread. I made a set of half nuts for a 10" Logan I had. I made them out of a piece of mystery metal I had because I thought my first attempt probably would end in failure and then I would get some cast to make the final set. As it tuned out it's not real hard to make them. Bore and thread a block and the cut it in half. That's over simplified, you have to do some milling, but that's the easy part. I don't know how well it would work recutting the original threads. I have seen where others have made threaded inserts epoxied and pinned in the original half nuts. You have nothing to lose trying to fix the ones you have. If they don't work out you can just make new ones. Here's a link to the ones I made with the worn originals beside them:

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/cozmo135/media/Logan 820 Half-nuts/half-nuts.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Chuck

I don't know about the diameter of your leadscrew but it's an acme thread. I made a set of half nuts for a 10" Logan I had. I made them out of a piece of mystery metal I had because I thought my first attempt probably would end in failure and then I would get some cast to make the final set. As it tuned out it's not real hard to make them. Bore and thread a block and the cut it in half. That's over simplified, you have to do some milling, but that's the easy part. I don't know how well it would work recutting the original threads. I have seen where others have made threaded inserts epoxied and pinned in the original half nuts. You have nothing to lose trying to fix the ones you have. If they don't work out you can just make new ones. Here's a link to the ones I made with the worn originals beside them:

http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/cozmo135/media/Logan 820 Half-nuts/half-nuts.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Chuck
. Thanks Chuck, idea for rethreading I read on a post some where, it was some time back,found supplier for tap,also read there is acme thread nuts availible in different lengths have not found ,appreciate the help. John

Chuck, those half nuts look really nice!!

John, I had a link someplace (can't find it now) about forming nuts out of heated acetyl. It was more for small mills etc (but I do know they make acme nuts from acetyl for certain applications) ... so not sure how it would work for a half nut.

Keep in mind, if I remember correctly, Acme taps have a coarse and finish tap. I had looked at this for crossfeed & compound screws ... but the price x2 turned me away.

Chuck, those half nuts look really nice!!

John, I had a link someplace (can't find it now) about forming nuts out of heated acetyl. It was more for small mills etc (but I do know they make acme nuts from acetyl for certain applications) ... so not sure how it would work for a half nut.

Keep in mind, if I remember correctly, Acme taps have a coarse and finish tap. I had looked at this for crossfeed & compound screws ... but the price x2 turned me away.

Chuck ,looked in to taps spoke with a machinist he believes I can use finish tap since thread are cut and I'm re cutting existing threads,still trying to verify correct worm specs ,logan not helpfull.
also still searching other sources but not having correct worm to go off ,I'm due a bit of guessing.
on the worm gear had a suggestion of maching down existing gear ,removing teeth and material to accept a ring gear made from a stock spherical worm gear,what do think, merry Christmas to you
John

Back