Logan 820: Am I oiling the apron correctly?

tmenyc

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
OK, my next 820 question, now that we've solved the back gear/direct gear issue.

The Logan chart is not precise on where to oil the apron. Item 8 says "remove set screw and fill this oil well so that when petcock set screw (9) is removed, oil just drips out." I think the set screw is the one my yellow arrow in the first pic points to, but when I get oil in there it drips out the bottom of the apron; I can't tell exactly from where. I think the petcock set screw is the square bolt pointed to in the second picture, actually there isn't another likely candidate, but it isn't a petcock and when I remove it no oil drips out. Help please?

TIA,
Tim
20190118_202541.jpg20190118_202610.jpg

Just squirt oil in the check plug hole in the second picture until it starts to dribble out.

There is a drain plug on the bottom that could be leaking, but just as likely the oil is leaking where the castings join together. It's a good idea to use a little silicone on the seam when you reassemble it. Like kev said, just squirt oil in the hole on the front until it runs out. If it won't hold oil it's probably a good time to take it apart to clean and seal it.

I have a Logan 1825 and you're supposed to remove the apron set screw (set screw not the slotted adjustment screw) to add oil. I keep an extra allen key close by so I don't forget. An oil cup would have been nice eh?

Based on the very worn shafts and bushings found in my 1944-vintage 820 when I restored it in 2013, I also recommend oiling the shafts and bushings as shown in this photo.
Greg

That's probably a good idea, but if the apron actually had adequate oil in it throughout its life, you most likely wouldn't have found that kind of wear. I've had several of these machines and have yet to find one that has any oil in the apron when I get it. The fact that they're still working after that many years without proper maintenance says a lot about the quality of the machine.

Chuck K, Yeah, proper maintenance throughout its long life would certainly have helped. But I don't know how well the oil gets from the small apron sump up to those two spots I marked in the above image. Those shafts and bushing were among the most worn spots in the entire lathe, the apron handwheel wallowed in its bushing.
But the QCGB was a contender as well. It's hard to get oil to the spots where its needed in there. As I narrated in my "Greg's Logan 820 Restoration" thread, for both the apron and the gearbox, I tore them down, found the worn parts, made dimensioned drawings of the shafts, reassembled the lathe so I could make new shafts, then tore it down again to install them, along with new bushings. Several round trips on both assemblies.

thanks, guys, this is helpful. Greg, I wrote to you separately. I haven't even touched my QCGB yet...learning my way assembly by assembly using it.
A complete teardown and reassembly is not in my future -- lacking the competence, space, and time.
Tim

Greg, do you still have the dimensioned drawings. Are you a member of the logan lathe groups.io group? (Formerly Yahoo groups). Could you upload the drawings to the group file store? I will go find your restoration post. But I just finished my restore and find the same issues. I don't want to tear down my apron again if someone has the dimensions of the parts already.
Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back