Logan 820: Am I oiling the apron correctly?

Razzie,
Yes I have drawings, but only for a few selected parts. See below. Do any of these help you?
Yes on the logan lathes group.

My dimensioned drawings are currently hand-drawn sketches in my shop notebook, not CAD drawings, and are limited to a handful of specific parts.
I suppose I could take pictures of the notebook pages and post them.

Caveat: all my drawings are from a 1944-vintage Logan 820 that has many heavily worn parts. My measurements are my best efforts, primarily using Harbor Freight and LittleMachineShop supplied tools.

Here is a list of dimensioned Logan 820 drawings in my notebook, with my page number, and the Logan part numbers (for my version, s/n 24157).
1. Apron Handwheel shaft, p. 38, (LA-549)
2. Cross-slide shaft, p. 40, (LA-153)
3. Acme nut for cross-slide shaft, p. 41, (LA-173-1)
4. Compound-slide screw, p 41, (LA-152)
5. QCGB slider shaft, (LA-472)
6. QCGB Main shaft, (LA-470)
For numbers 1, 5, and 6, I created my own parts. I hesitate to try #2, 3, & 4.

I have been trying to get adequate proficiency with some CAD software and have tried and failed with many packages. For a few years now, I've looked to master AutoDesk's Fusion 360, and struggle with my lack of 3D modelling experience and the software's lack of comprehensive documentation.
But I'm getting there and just this week modeled some Logan parts for another forum member. These were the brackets/bushings/thrust washers used to mount the worm on the rear of the apron. For some reason, they don't seem to be in the Logan parts catalog. I have these in .pdf, .dwg, and .f3d format.

Greg, do you still have the dimensioned drawings. Are you a member of the logan lathe groups.io group? (Formerly Yahoo groups). Could you upload the drawings to the group file store? I will go find your restoration post. But I just finished my restore and find the same issues. I don't want to tear down my apron again if someone has the dimensions of the parts already.
Thank you.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Logan Lathe Group????

In my limited experience the aprons on these old lathes are similar
I too noticed the oil reservoirs were bone dry.
I assume the Logan’s have felt strips to suck up and distribute the oil?
I took my South Bend apron apart, knowing the apron was empty, I wanted to re-felt and see what damage had occurred.
Besides wear at the half nut bushings, the apron components were in really good shape.
I always enjoy and appreciate the quality of workmanship that went into the old American iron machine tools.

Richard White:
The old Logan Lathe group that was on Yahoo Groups has moved to https://groups.io/g/Lathe-List .
It's not as active as before, but Scott Logan still participates (and perhaps sponsors it?).
Greg

Back